Odd looking l16

d510addict

I have an L16 that I just put into my truck but for some reason this L16 looks like an l20b block as in the block has 2 dipsticks (the l20b block I have has 2 as well) in the exact same locations as the l20b. The L16 has the same casting mold as the L20b block by that I mean the block is the same shape and the breather hole exits vertically so that the breather tube has to have a 90 deg bend in it to fit (my other 2 L16's have a horizontally exiting breather hole and a straight breather tube). Currently the motor has a w53 head on it which makes me think that this was a jap motor at some point but what do I know. Anyone elses L16's have these differences?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many bolt holes are there where the alternator bracket bolts to the timing cover? Or give us a picture of this area if you can.

Also do the bulges around the cylinders look big like the L20's or more like the L16?

-Dime

I'm pretty sure it is a L16 I just find it funny that the block looks very similar to an l20b in very key areas. Timing cover looks the same as L16 though. 1 bolt holds the alt bracket on

• 1 month later...

Timing cover looks the same as L16 though.

L20B (and above) have a much different timing cover than the L18 or L16. The are two bolt holes on each side at the top. Below. L16/18s only have one hole each side.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers001Large.jpg

Ahh ya, it has the 2 dipsticks as well and has a W53 head on it that has the notching for injection. Will be selling it if I can ever get together the cash for machine work and pistons on my l20b