aftermarket radiator

Hoosier77

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had bad luck with the VW radiators. They start leaking at the joint between the plastic end tanks and the core. I also have not found one for $50 new. I am currently running the ford focus radiator but it does not do well in really hot weather with the L16. I have been looking at AFCO's SCIROCCO-STYLE radiator 80104-na http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Scirocco-Style-Double-Pass-Drag-Radiators,43554.html

http://www.afcoracing.com/dr_cooling_doorcar.html

Its a little pricey but AFCO is known for good quality stuff. Its based on the VW radiator so it will fit and it has its own cap. The Gates hose that is listed in the how to install the VW radiator should work with it too. I use that hose with the ford radiator with no problems.

I have herd good things about using a pontiac fiero radiator also. But I can't find a nice low priced one with more than 1 core. A friend has had issues with the champion brand but it could have been the dealer.

TSR in the LA area also makes custom radiator and fan setups but they are very expensive.

-Dime

Like many others I am also in the process of putting a SR20DET into my 620KC. I talked in length to my local exhaust/radiator guy with over 20 years experience, and he saw no need for an upgraded radiator. The stock 620 rad has over twice the cooling capacity as a stock silvia radiator. This is all based on paper/professional opinion though, maybe someone with expierience in using a stock 620 rad then upgrading later would be better suited to answer. For now I plan on using a stocker, she's already cleaned and pressure checked. If I end up with cooling problems I will for sure post for knowledge sake.

Guest DatsuNoob

I used the AE86 chinese aluminum rad from ebay on a KA swapped 620 and it fit pretty well. Not sure if the SR uses the same passenger side routing for the hoses, but if so, it's a pretty nice fit.