720 Diesel Work Truck update

hitch

The pre-filter is on the firewall between the back of the valve cover and the wiper motor, it has the two lines going to it.

The fuel line goes from the frame outlet to the filter, then to the lift pump.

DSCN0126.jpg

My pre-filter isn't in the stock place on any of my diesels, one(red 720 diesel) is where the 720 gasser filters are back by the tank, the other(the 521 KC diesel) is down by the upper front suspension A frame mount right when it comes out of the hard line.

Sorry I don't have a part# for the stock application in the photo above.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said mine are not in the stock place either anymore, the easiest one to deal with that I have is back by the tank on the passenger side, it is between the tank and the hardline and is just in front of the rear wheel on the outside of the frame so I can get at it.

I do not have a water separator, never have had one, but I do use the fuel filters that have the wire on the bottom, that turn on the glow plug light if there is water in the spin on fuel filter, and it can be drained by loosening the bottom electrical fitting itself.

DSCN1808.jpg

You can put a pre-filter anywhere you want, as long as it is before the injection pump lift pump(fuel pump).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Last cleanup of the season completed a couple weeks ago.  This is my usual work rig.

BOP Quick 44" and 36" 16hp Kawasaki hydro walk behinds with aluminum catcher. 

worktruckpic.jpg

As long as your not in a hurry, you should get at least 25mpg with that setup, more on the hiway.

You put a prefilter in line, I think it makes the stock filter last way longer, I don't think I have ever had to change the stock spin on filter because of lack of power, as they are expensive, I change them very rarely.

Wayno, I checked across two tanks this summer, 28-30 mpg both tanks with 80% towing. 

Sounds about right, when I was driving a stock 82, I was getting 25mpg in the city, no matter what, and the best I ever got on the hiway was 36mpg going about 60mph, but if I wanted to go 70mph, which I always did, I would get 29mpg hiway.

When I was towing a 1981 datsun 720 diesel with a tow bar behind my 82 datsun diesel, I was getting 22mpg hiway going about 55mph, I was scared to go any faster, as the truck sometimes had a mind of it's own.

Then one day I used my 1980 datsun 720KC/longbox dually to tow a truck, that day I realized that a dually tows way better than a non-dually, I won't tow another truck without a dually anymore, unless it's just an in town short tow, just not on the hiway.

Now days I have my 521KC SD25 diesel as a driver, I dove it to LA last december, I was going 75 to 80mph most the trip, I averaged 28-29mpg at 3000rpms most the trip(1000+ miles), I was hauling ass, I put 350 gears in the rearend the week before, best/worst thing I ever have done, best cause I can really move, worst cause I can really move, but it's looking good so far, as I have not got any tickets yet.

• 10 months later...

I think it is going to S FL.  Seems a lot of interest from central america in the Dsl.  I think it is on the way to Guatemala.  I didn't want to see that happen, but lots of tire kickers and no cash.  I'll work something out for you on the Max, blew an injector test driving this week, so I'm replacing all six tomorrow and the price will change on the car.