Picked up my l20 shorty

carsoundguy

Firstoff, thanks for all the info from my other thread. I picked up my shortblock today here's how everything stands:

the guy built it borred .30 over, used an a87 closed chamber head. said he drove it about 200 miles and it burned a half quart of oil. Doesn't know what's wrong, but he used a stock l20 head gasget. it's a shortblock so I have to use my l16 head, I was wondering which gasget I use now, whether I should pull all the pistons and check rings to see if anythings damaged, or assume it was a bad head gasget choice in the first place. it came with a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate (phew..) so I don't think I have any drivetrain issues. it also came with a timing set for the l20. what do you guys think??

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

l20 gasket sounds right.

Might it be possible that the PO had a crap head on there with junk valve stem seals? or maybe it just used oil as part of the break in?

Either way, since YOU didn't do the work, it's probably best to pull it apart and double check. Otherwise, you might have to tear it all down again later :(

Be sure to get the right throwout bearing!

• 2 weeks later...

Synthetic will not allow the rings to seat. You will burn a quart or 2 of oil breaking in a new motor.

You might get away with not taking it apart, but like the other guys say, you didn't do the work so you might as well verify it was done right.

Try this... get rid of the synthetic and put in regulsr oil and drive it. The rings may just not be broken in yet. Give it some power. (do not baby it) Trying to re-break it in is cheaper than a tear down and can't hurt.

If the oil consumption doesn't stop then go ahead. The L16 head will work fine but will not allow the L20B to produce up to it's potential.