Quick EVAP question

On the B310, the EVAP can has a line that runs from the fuel tank that vents to the evap canister. It's the only thing I haven't gotten rid of yet. Can I just block this off or get rid of it, or is it completely necessary to have a fuel tank vent?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel tank needs a vent. If air cannot get in the tank, fuel cannot come out, or worse, the fuel comes out anyway, and air pressure crushes your tank.

Evaporative emission systems do not cause a loss of power. It does route gas fumes back into the engine where they are burnt. A properly functioning evaporative system may actually increase your gas mileage.

The fuel tank needs a vent. If air cannot get in the tank, fuel cannot come out, or worse, the fuel comes out anyway, and air pressure crushes your tank.

Evaporative emission systems do not cause a loss of power. It does route gas fumes back into the engine where they are burnt. A properly functioning evaporative system may actually increase your gas mileage.

my 76 camaro is not vented, and after 35 years it hasnt been "crushed" .... but when you remove the fuel cap it depressurizes, nothing serious just a "pshhht" and thats all... but from the feel of it the chevy fuel tank seems to be made of thicker steel than a datsuns

all in all, just leave it... i wouldnt want you to have a one in a billion accident and somehow it gets linked to this post ;)

I would leave it, but the issue is, I'm trying to remove EVERYTHING unneeded from under the hood. I'm going to clean it up and paint it when I pull the engine, but I gotta get everything out first.

That would be bad to have my tank collapse though unsure.gif

What if I just installed a vented gas cap?

I would leave it, but the issue is, I'm trying to remove EVERYTHING unneeded from under the hood. I'm going to clean it up and paint it when I pull the engine, but I gotta get everything out first.

lol, no it would pop a seam... like a popcorn bag... and i wanna see how your engine compartment looks when your done... as for the vented cap, go for it it serves as a solution to venting the fumes just dont smoke or light a lighter RIGHT next to the vent on it :lol:

It will be a while, but I'll have oics in my build thread when I do. I plan on moving my Optima to the back and clean up ALL the wiring.

I'll give the cap a go. cool.gif I don't smoke anyways. In fact, I considered putting a fuel cell in the car. unsure.gif Just a thought though.

Datsun EVAPO system works differently from other systems. They are not vented. The camaro is vented in a different fashion

Japan Datsuns of the 70s had a vent hose from the filler tube to the air, it went up in a loop above the filler and then down under the car.

USA Datsuns (EVAPO) use a vent line that goes up to the engine compartment. Either to a flow valve or in newer ones to a charcoal cannister.

Ya gotta vent the tank.

* Older cars may have a vented cap. But the tank of the B310 will slosh fuel out the side if you fit that kind of cap

* B310 came with a pressure-relief cap. It lets air in, but not out

* You can leave the tank vent line open (some guys do) but I suppose there is a small chance of bacfire or something. I suggest leaving it connected to the charcoal cannister.

The camaro is vented in a different fashion

read my last post.... IS not vented hasnt been since the day the origional owner (my grandpa) bought it

the evap system on stockers is the same as us datsuns, hose from the fuel tank runs up front to an activated charcoal canister

like i said, 35 years 60k miles on the clock and no issues

but back to the vented cap, it seems like a good bit of people run them (i havent seen any evap deletes on cali cars tho) just make sure the tank is vented in some safe fashion

that or if you a stickler and worried (about "backfire" was it? :lol: ) try and find a location under the vehicle thats protected and tuck the canister

In my pickup it is vented to the air. PO removed the cannister and left the line venting fumes over the top of the engine. So far no backfires have caught anything on fire, but it don't smell pretty. I'm not worried, but I don't pretend its the smart way to do it.

On my sedan it is fully connected as from factory. It has no charcoal cannister like the newer 1974/1975-up Datsuns. As previously mentioned it does not hurt performance.

In my pickup it is vented to the air. PO removed the cannister and left the line venting fumes over the top of the engine. So far no backfires have caught anything on fire, but it don't smell pretty. I'm not worried, but I don't pretend its the smart way to do it.

On my sedan it is fully connected as from factory. It has no charcoal cannister like the newer 1974/1975-up Datsuns. As previously mentioned it does not hurt performance.

thats a horrible idea, why route the vent over the motor? thats your problem, and thats why people either delete or pull that hose and route it up the tanks fill tube

btw stay on topic

how can a small backfire from either the exhaust side or the intake side cause a catastrophic chain reaction that somehow ingites the small amount of fumes that excape into open air, from a remote location?..... sure if the exhaust tip was right infront of his vent cap, sure.... but id get his eyes checked to see if he noticed an eyesore like that

metalmonkey, ive noticed your way to intellegent to make either of those mistakes... but to make zilla happy, dont route the vent hose where it dumps the fumes onto the header... and dont run your exhaust to your fuel cap:lol:

Why did Nissan fit anti-backfire valves in the air injection system? Why do the later EVAPO tank have check valves? I agree it's unlikely to be a problem, but they did it anyways. And I've seen hot gasoline pouring on top of several engines and not catch fire. I once drove a Country Squire with boiling gasoline from a leaky carb. No fire happened, but that doesn't mean it's safe or unsafe. Yes it's unlikely the a/f mixture would be correct to explode. But safety includes preparing for the unlikely.

If you want to guarantee to all of us that it's perfectly safe to vent the gas tank directly to the engine compartment air, just say so. I don't recommend it.

Why did Nissan fit anti-backfire valves in the air injection system? Why do the later EVAPO tank have check valves? I agree it's unlikely to be a problem, but they did it anyways. And I've seen hot gasoline pouring on top of several engines and not catch fire. I once drove a Country Squire with boiling gasoline from a leaky carb. No fire happened, but that doesn't mean it's safe or unsafe. Yes it's unlikely the a/f mixture would be correct to explode. But safety includes preparing for the unlikely.

If you want to guarantee to all of us that it's perfectly safe to vent the gas tank directly to the engine compartment air, just say so. I don't recommend it.

your SOOO missing the point, when he clears the engine compartment of EVERYTHING unnessesary to run the motor, the VENT HOSE WILL NOT BE DUMPING on the motor... case closed the hose will be deleted... der der der.... stop arguing a fact that you obviously cant grasp, jeezus... learn to read.... completely obvious.... THERE WILL BE NO HOSE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.... your buddy that did that on your vehicle was an idiot, plain and simple.... fact youve missed the point because your too busy arguing... fact i apparently have to repeat myself.... fact because your not reading.... assumed

VENT HOSE DELETED OR REPOSITIONED TO A SAFE AREA VENT HOSE DELETED OR REPOSITIONED TO A SAFE AREA

VENT HOSE DELETED OR REPOSITIONED TO A SAFE AREA.... i agreed with you fucking 5 posts ago...

It was the Datsun engineers that routed to the tank vent line to the firewall, right over the engine. The PO disconnected the original hoses there. But Ratsun's all about love, so it doesn't really matter.

Let's stay on topic:

Can I just block this off or get rid of it, or is it completely necessary to have a fuel tank vent?

monkey, it's not completely necessary. But I say you do need it. The benefits outweigh the problems. Some guys with 210s have had running problems after blocking that line. It might run OK for you until a hot day... maybe not.

It was the Datsun engineers that routed to the tank vent line to the firewall, right over the engine. The PO disconnected the original hoses there. But Ratsun's all about love, so it doesn't really matter.

Let's stay on topic:

monkey, it's not completely necessary. But I say you do need it. The benefits outweigh the problems. Some guys with 210s have had running problems after blocking that line. It might run OK for you until a hot day... maybe not.

..old news dude hes posted since then.... try and keep up \

• Like 1

On the B310, the EVAP can has a line that runs from the fuel tank that vents to the evap canister. It's the only thing I haven't gotten rid of yet. Can I just block this off or get rid of it, or is it completely necessary to have a fuel tank vent?

It will be a while, but I'll have oics in my build thread when I do. I plan on moving my Optima to the back and clean up ALL the wiring.

I'll give the cap a go. cool.gif I don't smoke anyways. In fact, I considered putting a fuel cell in the car. unsure.gif Just a thought though.

• Like 1

read this thread and I think I'm lost..but as long as the OP gets it fixed....I'd use one of the one way caps...Lets air INTO the tank and not out. The fumes leaking out is what the evap is supposed to keep from happening.

read my last post.... IS not vented hasnt been since the day the origional owner (my grandpa) bought it

the evap system on stockers is the same as us datsuns, hose from the fuel tank runs up front to an activated charcoal canister

like i said, 35 years 60k miles on the clock and no issues

but back to the vented cap, it seems like a good bit of people run them (i havent seen any evap deletes on cali cars tho) just make sure the tank is vented in some safe fashion

that or if you a stickler and worried (about "backfire" was it? :lol: ) try and find a location under the vehicle thats protected and tuck the canister

Um..not vented @ the gas cap, but the system IS vented....just vented to a charcoal canister.