Why am I getting poor gas mileage?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OOPS... laugh.gif

It's got a Weber on it, compression was about 125 per cylinder at the last test, it's on P215/60R14 on rear and P195/60R14 on front.

It's really lacking in power too. I have virtually no power out of 1st gear. I can put my foot on the floor and still be going as slow as when I'm at half throttle.

Edited by metalmonkey47

Lack of Powa you say !!! Change Fuel filter(s) ? Tune Carb ( vacuum gauge/tool ) ? Check yo plugs ? tire pressure ? clogged jets ? adjust valves lately ? hhhhmmmmmmm

City Driving ? Lots of idling ? hobo suckin out yo gas at the stop light ?

We have lower octane gas than that of 30 years ago to ,,, IDK man :lol: ,,, when I drive my Z I stopped checking the gas mileage unless it gets out of tune :D

HERE COMES DATZENMIKE !!! :lol:

Lack of Powa you say !!! Change Fuel filter(s) ? Tune Carb ( vacuum gauge/tool ) ? Check yo plugs ? tire pressure ? clogged jets ? adjust valves lately ? hhhhmmmmmmm

City Driving ? Lots of idling ? hobo suckin out yo gas at the stop light ?

We have lower octane gas than that of 30 years ago to ,,, IDK man :lol: ,,, when I drive my Z I stopped checking the gas mileage unless it gets out of tune :D

HERE COMES DATZENMIKE !!! :lol:

Haven't changed the fuel filter, but I need to! The one that the PO put in it backwards blink.gif

Haven't tuned the carb but it may need to be checked. I need a wideband 02 sensor and gauge! Tire pressure it perfect. Carb is like NEW inside. Valves were adjusted a few months back when the head was slapped back on.

I put 89 octane in everytime I fill up. My driving is all around town and not light to light runs. I'm always cruising at a constant speed.

This is the only time I've calculated MPG, but it seems pretty low for a 210 unsure.gif

how many miles have you put on it, when has the engine/carb/trans/rearend been serviced, do you have a vacum leak, is your front end aligned, do you have an exhaust leak, is the air fuel mixture to rich, are you constantly driving into the wind, is there alot of unneeded clutter or weight in the vehicle (subs amps, car parts, dead bodies, ex wife) do you ride the brake, ... are your tires properly inflated?...... this question has too many possibilities.....

i say do a proper tune up, look up "how to improve fuel milage" on what ever search engine you have.... and if that doesnt help, then come back and ask... say things like "ive serviced the drive train xxxxxx miles ago the air fuel mixture is correct, i dont have vac leaks, every thing is in proper shape, but oddly enough my 32 yearold car only gets 22mpg and is weak

I'm assuming the stock tire was 155 70R 13 or there abouts. If so, 215 60 14s are going about 10 miles further every 100 miles you travel. If you are going 10% further then this is a 10% increase in mileage.

All four tires are about 2" wider than stock and won't roll as easily. Try running max air pressure in them to reduce rolling resistance.

Webers are not good for mileage and are more of a performance carb. If this unknown weber was on an L18 or L20B previously, it may have the wrong jets in it. What do the plugs look like?

125 compression is .... ok but over 150 would be better. Motor is getting tired.

I'm assuming the stock tire was 155 70R 13 or there abouts. If so, 215 60 14s are going about 10 miles further every 100 miles you travel. If you are going 10% further then this is a 10% increase in mileage.

All four tires are about 2" wider than stock and won't roll as easily. Try running max air pressure in them to reduce rolling resistance.

Webers are not good for mileage and are more of a performance carb. If this unknown weber was on an L18 or L20B previously, it may have the wrong jets in it. What do the plugs look like?

125 compression is .... ok but over 150 would be better. Motor is getting tired.

Trunk full of junk? Every pound extra needs to be accelerated up to speed and that eats up the gas.

Every one drives differently. Try to drive through town without using your brakes. Takes practice but look ahead and anticipate stop lights and traffic and slow down gradually. Leave 5 min early for work and take your time, there's really no hurry and you know it, but everyone gets competitive when driving. Do NOT warm up a motor, waste of gas. Start, put on seat belt check mirrors and go. The car will warm faster when driven. Make one trip into town count.

carb jetted/changed/dialed in ?

I suspect the carb mostly, what weber do you have? a 32/36 comes overjetted for a L16 so I would suppose the same on a A14.

agreed, i have a 32/36 weber on an l20b... and it ran a tad on the rich side

;)

true-story-bro.jpg

Okay, here we go. unsure.gif

I drive very calmly and carefully. I coast as much as possible, as easy on the brakes as possible, and approach red lights braking super early anticipating a turn to green to use the vehicles momentum to keep rolling so I don't have to start from a dead stop. The car is stripped of all weight. No A/C, no back seat, no jacks, no spare tire, two small speaking in boxes, small fire extinguisher, no dash frame with Aluminum dash board and that's about it.

The trans and diff fluid haven't been changed recently to my knowledge. I haven't done it since I got the car and the previous owners didn't seem to care for the car much. The heads rebuilt, got brand new plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc. Also has an MSD ignition.

The plugs are black, but keep in mind it has a good deal of blow by. I changed the oil now and put some 20W50 in it to see what difference it makes. It does have better oil pressure though ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8bX6WtgLY

I suppose I need to look at rejetting the carb maybe?

YES ,,, look into Re-Jetting :cool: !!! :)

New Plugs every time you tune ,,, do not adjust carb with a dirty air filter either ! a no-no , either clean out or replace air filter ;)

I adjust my 4bbl with a vacuum gauge carefully waiting about 1 minute in between adjustments , and clean the air filter out/replace everytime before I start tuning ;)

Change your Fuel Filter ( no Fram Fuel Filters !!! they can plug to by falling apart :rolleyes: :lol: true story )

Look into getting a Webber re-jetting kit/individuals ,,, is fairly easy and takes patience is all ;)

BUT if your compression is un-even or lower than it should be (blow-by) you will have a hard time tuning it :huh: , and keeping it where it is suppose to be ,,, ( Professional Carb Re-Builder Stressed this to me years ago :) )

Is your oil getting washed down by gas ???

Pics of The Plugs ???

How do you tune off a vacuum gauge? Where are the carb adjustments on the DGV? I might go try my hand at this right now cool.gif

I'm gonna go change my fuel filter in a moment as well. I got one already (NOT Fram!) just never put it on.

What jets would you recommend? I'll have to go reference the Weber tuning guide in a moment.

It doesn't appear to be. Theres no hint of fuel smell in the gas. I think I'm going to see where I can send a sample to locally for analysis. It's burning MUCH less smoke now with the Castrol in it.

it's burning much less with Castrol 20w-50 in it ??? you mean burning a LOT less smoke with thicker oil period ? :unsure:

Holley = rec vacuum gauge ( for their 4bbl carb line ,,, I just like how easy it is for me :P :lol: )

Webber = tuning http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm

NOTE : when you seat the mixture screw DO NOT ,,, I REPEAT ,,, DO NOT tighten it down so it binds at the bottom ,,, just ever so slight or it WILL ruin the seat in the carb :D ,,, ever so slightly touch ,,, just imagine your "working" with your girl when working on that idle mixture circuit ---> a light touch goes a long way :lol:

:D Well ?

Well my dad just felt really stupid :rofl:

I went out, changed the filter, set the idle adjustment back to the base adjustment. My dad came out and looked at my car and we were talking about re-jetting and shit and he starting acting like an old guy telling me about his old Celica, blah blah small 4 cylinder blah blah. He takes one look at my carb and asks me where the one vac line runs to. It's the only one on the engine. It used to be on the vac advance, but when I was having ignition problems we were out driving around and discovered that the problem was on the vac advance and we took off the line from the advance and ran it to the manifold temporarily and found it ran much better.

Long story short, we forgot that was there. blink.gif It was feeding manifold vacuum to the carb at idle. We took it off and capped it all. I took it out and drove it and it noticeably ran better. It seemed to have a noticeable increase in power. Guess I'll have to wait a few days or so before I can re-calculate gas mileage.

progress ,,, good monkey ( patting monkey on da head :console: ) :)

Sweet it was running full advanced timing :lol: :D

little things make up the big picture :ninja:

Think I'll go have a Dr. pepper nao tongue.gif

I have no timing advance. I gotta order a reman distributor from R/A. I haven't decided it it's justifiable though since I'm just going to build a new motor soon.