single wall bed bodywork

sick620

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the metal is stretched at the impact point. Basically what you do is called a hammer off technique. Place a large dolly inside the bed, right next to the dent, and on the outside gently hammer on the high spot. Do not strike directly on the dolly, this stretches the metal even more.

Here, this explains it better:

http://www.bodyautorepair.org/dent-removal-using-hammer-dolly

I just used "hammer off metal finishing" in Google

you can sometimes get away with pulling larger dents out with a suction cup or by heating another area to stretch the metal enough to pop it back into place. Dents with out creases may be heated, then cooled around the dent with a wet cloth, or some people use canned air upside down. I've never really done this, but the metal does have memory and will try to go back to where it started as long as there isn't a crease or a smaller radius dent or dimple.

My dad is a journeyman tinsmith and is magic with metal, he never really did much body work but I've seen him straiten things I didn't think he could