383 in a 620?

So I have a 79 620, its got a blown L20 in it. But I also have a complete 1970 Chrysler town and country station wagon. The wagon has horrible body rust, to repair it would cost far more than what the vehicle is worth and my grandmother just wants it gone. It has a solid good running 383 v8 in it with an auto trans. Im thinking about putting it in the 620, along with the auto trans. Now I know this would be quite an operation but Ive got the time and space for it. I did a search for any other members swaps but couldnt find any v8 620s. Im sure there are some on here.

So my question is...would it be worth it to do the swap?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew they were on here, I just couldnt find them. That is an amazing build..but far above what Im going for. I want to do a hey Ive got this motor lets put it in this here truck thing. Towards the end of that thread some people mentioned it was possible to put the v8 in without hacking the firewall. But you get heavier steering and less room for cooling. 2 things I never would have thought of.

The chances of a successful outcome are increased somewhat if you:

Have a garage nearby with lots of room out of the weather and can work uninterrupted whenever you please.

Tig or Mig welding experience and not a buddy who thinks he can but you end up with bird droppings for welds.

Fabrication skils and a head for problem solving in metal.

Fabrication equipment for metal including a drill press, grinders, benders, chop saw.....

Much past experience so you know when not to start a project

Lots of money to get you out of the inevitable mistakes.

Now go and measure that B motor. No way it will fit in, I looked at a 305 in my '78 and there was no room for a rad. Also look at the one piece steering column and box and how it will be in the way. Now look at the two torsion bars that are also in the way.

The fire wall would have to be cut back and the tunnel widened to fit the 383 with A-727 TorqueFlite auto.

Not saying it can't be done... anything can be made to fit wit either a smoke or a blue tipped wrench . If you are not sure you are up to it, don't destroy a 620 to find out.

And that mike, was exactly what I was looking for. ;) A straight up realistic view. I like my truck far to much to chop it up, so I suppose ill just put the motor in the shed and save it for some other project later on in life. I mean, it cant hurt to have a running 383 sitting around. As for the truck, ill just pull the L20 and rebuild it. Maybe do the ka swap, who knows. But thanks mike. You have saved me many hours and dollars, oh and a datsun.

i think he means a chrysler 383...

those are pretty wide.. i tried putting one in a 64 dart... the engine itself fit, but we couldnt get exhaust to fit...

you can try, a full iron headed, iron block big block is gonna be a hard fit and its gonna tear the fuck outta the stock front suspension..

post pics!

I didn't even get into the weight! The stock engine is about 280 pounds and almost another hundred for the 5 speed. A 383 is 630 pounds? plus the auto tranny.

I love these trucks too. I have no problem with motor swaps as long as completed and doesn't end up a parts truck. Four cylinders are reasonably easy fit, V6s about the same, V8 are much harder and can't really be reversed once the body is cut.