510 K-14 SU intake manifold?

fisch

So my dime has a lz22 with a k-14 intake manifold (Running 46MM carbs). I can't find a lot of info on the K-14 and wondered what it came on. All I could find is a thread where Dislexic mentioned the K-14 "-is the later intake with the balance tube that gets rid of the piston flutter at cruising speed."

So is it just a 220 manifold with a balance tube built in? Is it a japan only thing? Special ordered or did it come on a bunch of cars here too? Is it SSS? (Wondering if I could put a SSS badge somewhere on the car w/o being a total poser! I know the SSS wasn't a LZ22, but if it has a bit of SSS, that is good enough for me! :lol: What can I say, I am lookin at badges cause my car came TOTALLY debadged. :( )

1025095039_t2ny3-L.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't get any dual SU set ups for 4 cylinder engines here, but they were often found on JDM import motors brought into the country in the '80s?.

Z car SUs used 4 mounting bolts and the 4 cylinder are 2 I believe.

Roadster and L16 SSS used round top SUs and L18 SSS were flat top. (I think but maybe someone will correct me, I'd like to know for sure)

I got these beauties from a chap in Vancouver. He said they were in the trunk of a 510 that he bought and he didn't want them. They are supposed to be from a JDM L18 SSS and have un-smogged flattop SUs..... no not the infamous flattops from the Z car. These can easily be 'de-smogged' with some JB weld. Did not know till today that it is a K 14 manifold. If un-smogged they have probably never been used here.

710carbs003Large.jpg

Makes sense to me Mike. So this is a SSS manifold, most likely from an 1800SSS. Thanks for the info. When Chris built this engine he uses epoxied marine plywood to blend the 46mm Z Therapy carbs to the bore of the K14 manifold. Which also let him use the 4 bolts of the z carb (Only 2 go into the manifold).

I wouldn't think wood and an engine would mix, but he has put so many damn miles on this set up that I am a believer for sure. A pretty ratsun solution!

Hey while I got your ear, can I pull the domes off these carbs w/o messing up anything else inside? I'd like to get the paint off and polish them up, but know nothing about SUs and don't want to mess up what ain't broke!

1025095005_AJoPv-X3.jpg

We didn't get any dual SU set ups for 4 cylinder engines here, but they were often found on JDM import motors brought into the country in the '80s?.

Roadster and L16 SSS used round top SUs and L18 SSS were flat top. (I think but maybe someone will correct me, I'd like to know for sure)

i think you know this already but to clarify you're meaning that l4 engines weren't equpped with su type hitachi twin carbs in the usa

because some datsun 4cyls like the roadsters and 411 did get them

i don't think the flat tops came out until '73, so it's not likely yours came originally on a 510

maybe a late 610 or 710, 810 etc.

You know Scott I've taken a couple apart and can't remember with any accuracy what not to do. Mark the dome position so it will go back in position and remove the 4 (on your's?) screws around the bottom and lift off carefully. There's a thin round piston with a needle in the bottom that may lift off with it, Use cauting that the needle not be bent. It may stay on the carb and just lift the dome away. There is also damper oil in the removable twist off top so if spilled it will need replacing. Just go carefully and slowly and you will be fine.

Lower right corner.

SuAllPartsShown1.JPG

Here's more on the K14 manifold. This wasn't a L18-specific, nor a 510 part but first came on the 610 and 710

* Datsun Bluebird 610 (L16T, L18T SSS)

* Nissan Violet 710 (L16T SSS) 1973-1975 only

Here are the L-series 4-cylinder Twin Carb manifolds:

* 14002-22026 MANIFOLD ASS'Y-intake L16T, L18T [510 & 610 to '73-3]

* 14002-K1425 MANIFOLD ASS'Y-intake (from '73-4) L16T 610, L18T 610, L16T 710

Both manifolds use the same intake gasket. And flat-tops debuted in 1972. So what's the difference in the new manifold? It has a few more bosses and a the large tap going up (for the Air control?)

Ok this is the one that Mike posted I added some arrows to point out differences to the 220 manifold

The angled one is the air-idle control valve which the newer flat-tops used (earliest flat-tops didn't). This makes the newer ones run smoother than the early ones, although some guys block it off and don't use it.

K14_L16T_manifold.jpg

Damn Ratsun rocks. You guys know your stuff! Thanks for the download! So based on the below, the K-14 came on the SSS but it wasn't exclusive to the SSS?

* Datsun Bluebird 610 (L16T, L18T SSS)

* Nissan Violet 710 (L16T SSS) 1973-1975 only

Here are the L-series 4-cylinder Twin Carb manifolds:

* 14002-22026 MANIFOLD ASS'Y-intake L16T, L18T [510 & 610 to '73-3]

* 14002-K1425 MANIFOLD ASS'Y-intake (from '73-4) L16T 610, L18T 610, L16T 710

The angled one is the air-idle control valve which the newer flat-tops used (earliest flat-tops didn't). This makes the newer ones run smoother than the early ones, although some guys block it off and don't use it.

K14_L16T_manifold.jpg

ggzilla, where does this angled hose go? Is there a missing air idle control valve?

That is affirmative. Four-cylinder flat-tops start July 1972. B110 is an exception.

Hitachi HJL38W-6A: 1973 610 L16T, L18T (from '72-7)

* 16010-U0831 front [flat top]

* 16010-U0851 rear [flat top]

with that production date was likely a 72.5 or 73 "early sales" facelift version:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3237-610s-unite/page__pid__431958__st__1520#entry431958

x1 love this stuff!

coincidentally some guy was selling some air cleaners for that setup

swap4.jpg

Very neat the way the housing has almost an upside down rainbow attached to it. I love that. I am sure they were out of my wallet range when I look at the list of stuff need in order of priority! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So my dime has a lz22 with a k-14 intake manifold (Running 46MM carbs). I can't find a lot of info on the K-14 and wondered what it came on. All I could find is a thread where Dislexic mentioned the K-14 "-is the later intake with the balance tube that gets rid of the piston flutter at cruising speed."

So is it just a 220 manifold with a balance tube built in? Is it a japan only thing? Special ordered or did it come on a bunch of cars here too? Is it SSS? (Wondering if I could put a SSS badge somewhere on the car w/o being a total poser! I know the SSS wasn't a LZ22, but if it has a bit of SSS, that is good enough for me! :lol: What can I say, I am lookin at badges cause my car came TOTALLY debadged. :( )

1025095039_t2ny3-L.jpg

Hey there, I'm trying to run a similar setup as you 1 3/4(Z carbs) on k-14 but i don't have linkage and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to make 'em work... what do you have going? cable? mechanical?

It looks like all the SSS Su's open their Butterflies in the opposite direction of mine... so It Doesn't look like a can just Buy a regular k-14 linkage... So... If you have any input it would be much appreciated

Hey there, I'm trying to run a similar setup as you 1 3/4(Z carbs) on k-14 but i don't have linkage and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to make 'em work... what do you have going? cable? mechanical?

It looks like all the SSS Su's open their Butterflies in the opposite direction of mine... so It Doesn't look like a can just Buy a regular k-14 linkage... So... If you have any input it would be much appreciated

I can try to take some pics if you would like. I didn't build it and haven't had it long so I am not sure what is going on there. Though I know what you are saying about the butterflies going the wrong way.

A couple things I do know about mine is that there is only one choke hooked up. I guess the other one could, but the PO just never needed it.

The other thing about mine is that because of the throttle, sometimes when you start off in first, if you don't time the throttle and clutch right, the car goes into this weird cycle where the gas almost cuts on and off and on and off.

The builder suspected the throw of the linkage or the wheel diameter on the linkage or something. He learned to time it right so never bothered to correct it, but it is a pretty tricky pedal for sure.

My plan once this snow melts and I register it, was to take a video and post it on ratsun to get the expert advise here!