no start!!

jonesy510

so this is the story. on christmas i was driving up to my dads place and pulled a small hill when my goon starting sputtering and i looked in my rear view mirror and saw tons of smoke and my goon died. well i towed it home. i was always burning a small amount of water so i figured that the intake gasket finally went out. i replaced the intake an now it doesn't start... i sprayed starter fluid into the intake thinking it wasn't getting fuel but it didn't ignite off that. so i proceeded to check the plug wire, if coil had spark, and if spark is getting to the plugs. My engine had all of this but still no firing. i also thought maybe the head gasket went bad but i was told it would still run if the head gasket went out just extremely rough...

any idea of what else to check??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rarely the intake leaks. Most likely the head gasket is finally gone. I've had them blow between cylinders and no it would not run. A compression test will likely confirm a bad H/G with one really low cylinder or two side by side low. Easy afternoon fix, weather permitting, and will only cost for the gasket. I did my L20B a few years ago for a $23 NAPA gasket. Leave the manifolds on and lift off together to save time and possible sealing problems. Try not to tip upside down and stir up sediment in the carb. Usr a power drill and wire wheel to clean the block and head, use no sealer just a dry gasket and torque in sequence in three stages and your good to go.

Can you explain? If the head gasket isn't the cause, then why would the head have to be removed?

Odds are it is the head gasket, if you want to play the odds.

Well, loss of compression could also be bent or burnt valve, loss of valve seat, hole in piston, broken rings/piston.

An over tight valve might cause a compression loss but if the gasket isn't the cause the head has to come off anyway.

ck the valve lash.

Check that it isn't simply a non closing valve first.