L16 overhaul

ddrum

Ok, so i took my 1972 620 to the shop because the head gasket was blown and the head was warped. After 5 days my mechanic said the block was in bad shape. We found out that all the piston rings were broken and it was a total mess. So now I'm going to have to rebuild it (by the way it is a L16). He told me the bore was going to be a size 20, didn't really get that. :huh: so i want to buy good parts since its going to be a daily driver. What kind of pistons and crankshaft would i need to use and where could i find them? (i know I'm a noob but I'm still trying to learn more):cool: i also need to do this on a tight budget.

Thanks, Erick

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bore Size 20 Means That He Will Be Making The Bore (Hole Where The Piston Goes In The Block) 0.020 Bigger

And Be Carefull Not Having Him Rip You Off, Some Shops Break The Rings On Purpose And Then Say "Hey Man I Found These Broken Rings Inside The Block..." Not Good :no:

Bore Size 20 Means That He Will Be Making The Bore (Whole Where The Piston Goes In The Block) 0.20 Bigger

And Be Carefull Not Having Him Rip You Off, Some Shops Break The Rings On Purpose And Then Say "Hey Man I Found These Broken Rings Inside The Block..." Not Good :no:

that is true, but i have known this mechanic for quite a while now and he been very honest with me. anyways i cant help but notice that your truck looks a lot like mine!:D that is so cool they are like clones! jeje.

Eh, i can't remember the piston combo, i think you can use L26 pistons or something... Theres some info floating around on the board do some searches. Maybe look in the Engine section and see the stickies there, theres a thread labeled Jason Gray i believe that has a ton of info in it also.

If you're on a tight budget, then for the time being just find someone selling a running L16(or L18, L20b, etc..), because rebuilding yours CORRECTLY won't be able to be done on the cheap. Not that I advocate wasting Datsun parts, but running long blocks can generally be found for a fraction of what it would cost to properly rebuild a bad one.

the epw house brand part # is RY6006 and .020 over. sealed power part # is 12114np.50mm sealed power doesnt have piston for that in standard only metric .50mm over is .01968 just shy of .020 and the machine shop should bore it out to the piston anyways if they just bore it out and dont measure the pistons thats alot of hoping that its gunna work lol good luck man

You only need to oversize the cylinders if they are

A/ damaged, scored by broken rings. If not bad enough they can be lightly honed and new rings put in.

B/ normally worn out from use. Nissan blocks are generally quite good and wear is usually minimal on old engines. Often the cylinder can be honed and new rings installed.

In either case the cylinder needs to be measured for wear to determine if it needs to be over bored and new oversize pistons and rings installed. Co$t is going to add up quickly doing this. Most ratsuners do their own assembly labor. A replacement motor is a crap shoot. How many times I've heard "it was running good when I took it out". If you hear this don't pay over $50 as this is a total unknown motor and is basically a core fit for rebuilding. Try to find a running motor in a vehicle and evaluate that one.

yes L24 piston are 83 mm stock.

if you bore is I assume he means .020.

1mmover bore is .040

.50mm= .020

so most boxes have it in mm but I assume your machanic knows this

You can use L18 piston but its a 2mm over bore on a L16(83mm) as a stock L18 is 85mm.

rockauto might have pistons

someone said summit but I could never figure out the website to really find them.

silvolite(united machine I think. also make them and call them and find a distributor. make sure you order the correct ones as they are differtnt 1600cc motor listed on that webpage.

call them they find a dealer near you that has them

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/silv-o-lite/spistons.php?action=Mfg4l&mfg=Nissan&Div=Nissan&l=1595

also get only the jap timming chain sets!!!!!!!!not melling or cloyes they SUCK!