Want 510 Brake Upgrade with Stock Spindles

BayArea510

I am looking to upgrade my front brakes. I don't want to change out the entire suspension either nor do I want to scourge through junkyards for spindles, etc..so I have ruled out the 280z option. I want to keep the stock 510 spindles.

I know there are kits from Arizonacar and Ermish and some other place ( can't remember the website) but at $795 it's just way too much money for me.

I know 82-83 200sx rotors and calipers can be converted for rear brake conversions with EDP brackets. Does anyone know if the front rotors out of the 82-83 200sx fit the 510 spindle?? I know custom brackets would have to be made to mount the calipers.

Or have successfully retrofitted from other oem rotors and calipers at a lower cost?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much HP are you running (and more importantly, stopping). I've got nismo slotted front rotors w/ apex pads and 280z alum. drums in rear and it works pretty good but I'm only stopping an L16 w/turbo running 10lbs. boost. Cost was about $250

How much HP are you running (and more importantly, stopping). I've got nismo slotted front rotors w/ apex pads and 280z alum. drums in rear and it works pretty good but I'm only stopping an L16 w/turbo running 10lbs. boost. Cost was about $250

:blink:Yeah no Kidding on the stopping part!

I don't know how much HP just yet but I am guessing between 195 to 210 hp with the current set up. Its an Sr20de w/ T28R turbo, 370cc injectors and the stock SR20DE MAF. Eventually I'll get around to 550cc injectors, Z30 MAF, ECU reflash which might bump it up to 270 -290hp range.

I need a brake upgrade for sure though.

My take is if your planning on this SR and even in the stock form I wouldnt skimp on Brakes that was the first thing I did even before putting any type of power in any of my 510s... Troys wilwood kit is the Best $1550 in brakes I could have spent I know you said you dont have alot of cash but just think how much it would take to replace what you do have already because you couldnt stop... $1550 is alot less than rebuilding an sr swapped 510

Clayton

<br />How much HP are you running (and more importantly, stopping). I've got nismo slotted front rotors w/ apex pads and 280z alum. drums in rear and it works pretty good but I'm only stopping an L16 w/turbo running 10lbs. boost. Cost was about $250<br />
<br /><br /><br />. Do you have the Pn on those slotted rotors for the stock brakes?

My take is if your planning on this SR and even in the stock form I wouldnt skimp on Brakes that was the first thing I did even before putting any type of power in any of my 510s... Troys wilwood kit is the Best $1550 in brakes I could have spent I know you said you dont have alot of cash but just think how much it would take to replace what you do have already because you couldnt stop... $1550 is alot less than rebuilding an sr swapped 510

Clayton

Clayton you must have not understood my post. I know the wilwood kit is great but so is its price tag at $1550 which is why I am asking fellow ratsuners for other alternatives.

I read on the the510realm of a guy doing Stanza rotors and calipers with custom calipper mount brackets. Check his thread. Sure his bracket design is a disaster wating but these are the kind of ideas I am looking for.

I guess its a matter of someone taking the time to do a little R & D to come up with a practical and economical way to upgrade brakes without a hefty price tag.

The nissanmotorsports rotors are currently NA. I found a company in Ontario that makes stock cross drilled rotors, so I'll try those with my Hawk pads and rebuilt calipers... I want these brakes to fit on stock 510 spindles and under stock 13 inch steel corvair rims 5.5 x 13

• 4 weeks later...

if i were you i would just save a little cash and get the zx struts there shorter for more travel when the car is lowered bigger spindles so there stonger they bring the wheels in a little so you can run wider wheels and the brakes a bigger its a no brainer upgrade

if i were you i would just save a little cash and get the zx struts there shorter for more travel when the car is lowered bigger spindles so there stonger they bring the wheels in a little so you can run wider wheels and the brakes a bigger its a no brainer upgrade

do you know where i can buy some zx struts? mike