Installing a Water injection kit

bredatto510

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before putting the head on the engine did you figure out how many washers to put on each spark plug to reduce hot spots caused by the threads?

I think this was covered in the OHC engine book.

-Dime

Read this for a colder or hotter plus... NGK info.... Its a very good idea to read this.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp?mode=nml

No two motors or two carbs are exactly the same. Any unscrewing and turning in so many turns is a ballpark figure intended to get it running only. Fine tuning is required.

Valve clearance and timing must be checked and adjusted first

On a single carb, warm up and set the idle speed as low as it will go and still run. Adjust the idle mixture in until the idle quality drops off. Turn out until the idle quality drops off. Set somewhere half way in between where idle is highest and smoothest. Adjust idle speed down and repeat until you can't make it run smoother and it is at the idle speed you want.

On dual carb it's harder to set the idle speed so both carbs are drawing the same amount of air. You can use a piece of garden hose and listen at each carb opening and adjust until they sound the same or use a flow meter called a Uni-Syn. http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-Uni-Syn/743621/10002/-1

Before putting the head on the engine did you figure out how many washers to put on each spark plug to reduce hot spots caused by the threads?

I think this was covered in the OHC engine book.

-Dime

i never thought of that... good idea... ill try to add a washer to see and if not ill get bpr7's since they are colder

No two motors or two carbs are exactly the same. Any unscrewing and turning in so many turns is a ballpark figure intended to get it running only. Fine tuning is required.

Valve clearance and timing must be checked and adjusted first

On a single carb, warm up and set the idle speed as low as it will go and still run. Adjust the idle mixture in until the idle quality drops off. Turn out until the idle quality drops off. Set somewhere half way in between where idle is highest and smoothest. Adjust idle speed down and repeat until you can't make it run smoother and it is at the idle speed you want.

On dual carb it's harder to set the idle speed so both carbs are drawing the same amount of air. You can use a piece of garden hose and listen at each carb opening and adjust until they sound the same or use a flow meter called a Uni-Syn. http://www.jegs.com/...743621/10002/-1

thanks mike ill be sure to buy that uni-syn as soon as i can... u always have great advice u guru

update.... i installed some 7 series ngk's and advance the timing just the slightest amount..... no pinging at all but still some backfire... it might be that i have a hole on the downpipe so ima leave it like this but get it repiped and see if its just that... it runs nice tho... i just barely give it gas and it wants to take off

thats all i have so far... ahahahah i know i need it... and im ordering it soon.... i need all the advice i can get as far as where to mount and where to tap the nozzle... i have an l20 with mikuni manifold and mikuni 44's... planning on running the water to keep the detonation down and be able to advance my timing back close to stock... has anyone ever done this before and if so... any advise will be greatly appreciated... thanks

you should tap anywhere between the carbs and the head. I would just center a nozzle in each manifold (where the runners come into one) ... or, if you are using cleaners on the carbs you could mount nozzles to the center of the covers so it would mix with the air before entering the carb.