nates "josie" goon build

thisisn8n

hey ratsun! Finally got the goon out the place its been sitting few the last few months, so i figured id start my build thread. i got the clutch s#!t all figured out today, i even had my mum help me bleed it. It drove it about 20 yards up the driveway before it started sputtering... but at least i moved it. Hoping just a misfire. i changed the wires but didnt change the plugs (duh) these things happen when your broke. Anyway, gonna change the plugs tomarrow n see how it goes. im gonna take sum up to date pics tomarrow aswell... heres sum of the day it was dropped off....

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00855.jpg

DSC00854.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got the clutch s#!t all figured out today, i even had my mum help me bleed it. It drove it about 20 yards up the driveway

DSC00858.jpg

Are these old pics? I don't see any shift lever or engine. What's the story?

Are these old pics? I don't see any shift lever or engine. What's the story?

yes, those are on the day of arrival. bought it with a l18 and dogleg but as you can see... they werent in the car. He had stripped it and put a sr in it. Then he put the sr into a coupe and i got to put back together the old crap. LOTS of fun. So over the last few months ive bin spending what little money i have buying different parts that didnt come along with the car. ie driveshaft,clutch parts, wiring harnes, etc... gonna get sum plugs in a bit then ill take sum current pics.

k, heres sum pics of how it is rite now. u can see how bad the plugs were,, but....... that wasnt the problem. so theres a quick video on the end. i dont know if the timings off or i need a new distributor or what. id love any input though.

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

th_MOV00802.jpg

btw. theres no coolent if that has anything to do with it. found out the radiators scrapmetal aswell.... if it isnt one thing. it damn sure is twenty others.

Check your timing.

I keep mine around 12btdc

It also looks like you have a points dizzy so check your points.

i havent done timing before, so i gotta check out that hainz video again. and to completely honest... i have no idea what a points dizzy is. lol (had to swallow my pride on that 1)

i know the lil tab is on the advance side. im gonna screw with it later today

you need to put a timming light on this.

Get timming light clamp it to #1 wire and point down at the timming tab or sawtooth timming mark ans the dot on the pulley should be soemwhat able to see.

Youll loosen the 10mm bolt on the dist to turn the dist left or right. Hopefull you can get to 10 or so. If dist is fulley crank hard to get it just to run maybe a oilpump dizzy shaft is misalighned.

but you need a light or at TDC ck the dist spindal of where its pointing.

too me seeing the vid.

Its either going out of time.

or the carbs.

I know nothing about SU carbs.(SUs dont have accell pumps) so sometime s there ia a slight hesitattionoh PS since you have SU you want about 14BTDC.

But you should be able to time the motor down to Zero thru 20BTDC EZ(within the dist adj plate) if the dist and timming set up is correct

be nice to know the wiring setup you have.

If you have points do you have a point coil with a ballast? If have points and no ballast the condensor cant handle straight 12v full current thus arching.

I assume this was stock. If anything was replaced you have to tell us exactly toher wise this is just guess work.

If you have electric Nissan IE then this will be ezer to get a handle on it.

be nice to know the wiring setup you have.

If you have points do you have a point coil with a ballast? If have points and no ballast the condensor cant handle straight 12v full current thus arching.

I assume this was stock. If anything was replaced you have to tell us exactly toher wise this is just guess work.

If you have electric Nissan IE then this will be ezer to get a handle on it.

its a jegs 18 circuit harness. im a mess with the wiring, so im not 100% on whats all going on. i know i didnt add any ballast between the fuse bax and the coil.

ive replaced the plugs and wires. everything else came with the car

you have point distributor or not.?

If you do you need to add a ballast resisitor with the stock coil. otherwise points will burn up and start popping

If not best to get a Nissan matchbox. then you dont need to worry about that stuff..

Be honest im not in the the aftermarket wire harnesses(prefer Datsun and keep them that way) and really dont want to trouble shoot those as I know nothing about them.

wheres the stock wire harness?

Maybe best to find another car.

you have point distributor or not.?

If you do you need to add a ballast resisitor with the stock coil. otherwise points will burn up and start popping

If not best to get a Nissan matchbox. then you dont need to worry about that stuff..

Be honest im not in the the aftermarket wire harnesses(prefer Datsun and keep them that way) and really dont want to trouble shoot those as I know nothing about them.

wheres the stock wire harness?

Maybe best to find another car.

the stock harness was cut up in different parts and pieces. and im pretty sure it is a points distributor. what kind a ballast would i need? or are they pretty much universal?

Maybe datzenmike or datsunaholic can help on this as I cant post the wire diagrams

But point use a Hot start wire that bypasses the ballast during the start position then when key is back to ON the 12 volts goes thru the ballast to cut the current.

Here is where ai say get a matchbox as it dont need a ballast and gets full 12-14volts.

I dont kno what coil you have and you dont know what dizzy you have so best to figure these things out.

Have you ever open the dizzy cap to look? I assume points. Idf so I assume the points will burn up soon. But its hard to trouble shoot if you dont know what you got to tell me.

you nned alot of photos all to post . so people can see whats there or missing.

Maybe datzenmike or datsunaholic can help on this as I cant post the wire diagrams

But point use a Hot start wire that bypasses the ballast during the start position then when key is back to ON the 12 volts goes thru the ballast to cut the current.

Here is where ai say get a matchbox as it dont need a ballast and gets full 12-14volts.

I dont kno what coil you have and you dont know what dizzy you have so best to figure these things out.

Have you ever open the dizzy cap to look? I assume points. Idf so I assume the points will burn up soon. But its hard to trouble shoot if you dont know what you got to tell me.

you nned alot of photos all to post . so people can see whats there or missing.

no more photos needed sir. you have already done it again. It was the ballast!! connected it about 20min ago

thank you so much hainz!!! now im gonna get underneith and put the tranny fluid in, and hopefully pick up a functioning radiato today.

theres no interior in that big hollow space so all the metal (and the fact the exhaust is cut off right under the driver seat) makes it a loud mofo.

i might post a firtst drive vid later today