Thinking About Getting a 510

Yosemite_Sam

Hey, I've been saving up to get a car for a while now, and I'm pretty sure that I want to get a 2dr 510. I just had a couple general questions about the cars. First, is the insurance on a fairly stock one very high? When I buy a car I'm going to have to help my parents pay for the insurance, so the cheaper it is the more money I can set aside to make the car ... "more fun." Second, I assume that they get decent gas mileage since they have a 4cyl and they are prety light cars, but what is it like? Again, the less I spend on gas, the more money I can save. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you work on cars? maintain and repair them?

because your going to have too.

insurance and stuff like that varys depending on state, age, driving history, insurance company, if you have done drivers ed, ect.

good way to keep it down a bit is put one of your parents names on the title too.

since insurance dosent go down till your 25 I still put my dads name on my titles :rofl:

I do not currently have much experience working on cars, but my father and grandfather do, and I do want to learn how to work on and maintain a car by myself. I was thinking that a 510 might be a good place to start.

Honestly, its not, so dont do it. Get a 620, learn on that, then goto a 510.

Most people that buy a datsun to learn on will never finish the project. 620s are cheap and easy to come by. Best bet is to start on those..

I do not currently have much experience working on cars, but my father and grandfather do, and I do want to learn how to work on and maintain a car by myself. I was thinking that a 510 might be a good place to start.

then go for it, there fairly easy if your mechanically inclined. and theres the forum.

just dont fuck it up :lol:

Honestly, its not, so dont do it. Get a 620, learn on that, then goto a 510.

idk about that, for me the 620 is the biggest PITA datto Iv ever had to work on. but thats just me

mechanically there the same.

long as your mechanically inclined with a little bit of experienced guidance your fine.

when I had my first datto I didnt know shit, but I had to learn fast.

idk about that, for me the 620 is the biggest PITA datto Iv ever had to work on. but thats just me

mechanically there the same.

long as your mechanically inclined with a little bit of experienced guidance your fine.

when I had my first datto I didnt know shit, but I had to learn fast.

720 was kind of a pita too, but not to bad. I didn't seem to have the problems you did when you worked on your truck.

since insurance dosent go down till your 25 I still put my dads name on my titles :rofl:

Actually, I talked w/ my agent about this, and what he said is that as of very recently(atleast in Oregon, I don't know if it's different in other states), your insurance goes down a little bit every year until you turn 25, instead of having the drastic change once you hit 25 and I think it was 21. I think this is a better way of doing it, so that over the years, you actually save more money.

My 510 was my first car, but i got it as a graduation gift, first 2 months owning her the radiator fan pulley cracked and flew off, no one has ever seen that happen before. Months later my exhaust manifold cracked, for like the 3rd time because the 2.2 runs way to hot. But i could never imadgine owning any other vehicle as my first car over her, i wish i could give my son a 510 as his first car, but like hell thats going to happen.

Dude, drifting a '91 240 station wagon is no easy task.:cool: The fact that it is a manual does help though.

please dont drift a 510 :mellow:

if you want to be a "JDM tyyyyte YO!!11!!" drifter kid, go get a 240sx to crash :mellow:

Don't worry, IF I drift it it will be on an open track, or in a huge empty parking lot. I'm more into twisty mountain roads. Drifting the volvo was more like "is it even possible?"

good :lol: all for driving the shit out of em (as they should be) but the wanna be drifter type of kids end up killing good cars

That was awesome. I'd heard of the BRE team, but I never knew how good they were. Originally I just wanted a 510 because I liked the looks, but that video shows a whole other side. One thing I don't get about some people is when they complain that Japanese cars just use the looks from various European cars, and they say that that is why they don't like them. I see it as they took the best styling from various European cars and used elements from that to make one damn fine looking car.

One other question that I just thought of. I go mountain biking a lot, so I need a way to carry my bike on my car. Do you guys think that it would work to put a hitch mount on the back PURELY for a bike rack? I would do nothing else with it but put in a hitch mounted bike rack and carry my friends' and my bikes. The idea just struck me the other night and I just remembered about it. Would that work?