Motor/Transmission wanted

I am needing the smallest Datsun motor and transmission I can get and still get some parts for it. I am thinking of something like a 1000cc motor and the shift lever needs to be as close to bell housing as possible. Maybe a truck transmission without column shift?

Thanks,

Bob

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am needing the smallest Datsun motor and transmission I can get and still get some parts for it. I am thinking of something like a 1000cc motor and the shift lever needs to be as close to bell housing as possible. Maybe a truck transmission without column shift?

Thanks,

Bob

First Bob, what Datto have you got. 1,000cc motors haven't been around much since the early/mid '60s. The 520 truck had a J13 (1,300cc) motor and parts are still somewhat available. The early '70s 1,000 (early B-210) had a 1,200cc motor eventually up-sized to 1,400cc and 1,500cc by the end of the 70s. The most common motor is the L series motor that came in 1,600/1,800 and 2,000cc size and used in the '68 and up 510 car, 521, 620 and 720 truck, 610 and 710 cars, the late '70s 200sx and A-10 cars. Very common motor for parts.

I have a 1936 type 15 roadster. The original motor was a small 4 cylinder, about 15 hp. I have several R16 motors, but they are too big and require cutting frame and firewall. The original motor was about 700cc and I wanted to stay small as I could because the rear axle is very small and will not hold up to any kind of hp. I was hoping to find an old datsun motor that was pulled from a late 50's or early 60's truck or car. I am trying to keep it Datsun. I have been eyeing the Sprite and Midget motors, but all the transmission have the gear shifter coming up under the bench seat of this car. That is why I am also looking for a truck transmission.

Thanks,

Bob

First Bob, what Datto have you got. 1,000cc motors haven't been around much since the early/mid '60s. The 520 truck had a J13 (1,300cc) motor and parts are still somewhat available. The early '70s 1,000 (early B-210) had a 1,200cc motor eventually up-sized to 1,400cc and 1,500cc by the end of the 70s. The most common motor is the L series motor that came in 1,600/1,800 and 2,000cc size and used in the '68 and up 510 car, 521, 620 and 720 truck, 610 and 710 cars, the late '70s 200sx and A-10 cars. Very common motor for parts.

Hi Bob. Pictures sure would be appreciated, we don't see much before 1960s.

The 510 had a 3 speed column shift. The shift rods are on the pass side I think but are mid case. You would have to fabricate a shifter for the floor.

The early 520 truck had a top loader transmission and J13 motor. About 45 hp?This is the only picture that shows the shifter location.

unknown003Large.jpg

unknown001Large.jpg

wow!!!!

please post pics of your car

I have a 1936 type 15 roadster. The original motor was a small 4 cylinder, about 15 hp. I have several R16 motors, but they are too big and require cutting frame and firewall. The original motor was about 700cc and I wanted to stay small as I could because the rear axle is very small and will not hold up to any kind of hp. I was hoping to find an old datsun motor that was pulled from a late 50's or early 60's truck or car. I am trying to keep it Datsun. I have been eyeing the Sprite and Midget motors, but all the transmission have the gear shifter coming up under the bench seat of this car. That is why I am also looking for a truck transmission.

Thanks,

Bob

Yep, its a 1936 Datsun Type 15. It is very small and the original motor was about 15 hp. It has wood framed body like the Ford Model A's. Also mechanical brakes like the A's.

I would post a picture if I could figure out how.

Bob

Yes the Austin 7 ('22 to '39) in Great Britain is likely what the '36 Nissan roadster was based on. Herbert Austin actually imported a Nissan 'copy' of his car to inspect it for possible copyright infringements in 1934. It (the Astin 7) had a 747cc motor and looked like this...

450px-Austin_7_ACT_Historic_Car_195_engine-right.JPG

The 1934 2 seater Austin 7 Sports looked like this...

220px-Austin_Seven_65_Nippy_2-Seater_Sport_1933.jpg

The post war Nissan DC-3 Roadster looked like this...

dc3.jpg

Do you have a picture of the car or the motor?

Where in Arkansas are you? I'm in Rogers and am about to pull a 1200 along with the 4speed tranny from a '63 320 pickup... The badge claims "60HP", but... LOL! Its been around several million blocks I'm sure and would need a complete rebuild, but you can have it if you can come pick it up...

Thanks!

Richard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.