air filter housing

JustinB

I put in a new engine with a new carburetor and the old air cleaner housing I had from the other engine doesn't really fit very well, and looks ugly as hell now that the engine is so nice looking. I wanted to get a new air cleaner housing but it seems like they all have 5-1/4 (ish) holes for 4bbl carbs. The smallest adapter I can find goes down to 2-5/8 but my carb opening is more like 2-1/4. Anyone know where I can find an adapter? Would help if it had about half an inch or so of rise also because the old housing is really tight against the carb and kinda pushing down on some stuff. Seems to work but I'd rather have a little clearance. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be the stock carburetor for a 1979-81 or so A14. Whole thing's kinda pieced together from a few different years. I got it from guaranteed carburetors down in florida. Looks the same as the old carb off my a14 but I don't know what year that engine was for sure. it was, like I said, somewhere around 79-81.

You see, it's big, ugly, dirty, doesn't match, and actually doesn't fit right anyway. pushes down on a couple of the carburetor components and there's a gap around the carb throat. Not much, but maybe 1/16" or so.

get 2 filer asemblies and take one of the top lids and cut a hole in the center of it that is the size you need then stick it on the carb put one of the filters on and the remaining lid on top the tighten it down with a wing nut if it leaks at the base make a gasket out of an O- ring you can get at a hardware store

I ended up cutting an adapter ring out of sheet steel, then using an adapter plate for a 2 5/8" and some vaccuum line to make a good seal and reduce the size and then threw a 10" edelbrok filter housing on top of that. Looks sweet. Can't close the hood on it though. @#$%! Gonna have to see what I can do to shrink it all down about 1/4 inch.

Of course i could cut the hood and put a cowl on it, which might look cool if I did it right but knowing me, I'd screw it up, so I don't think I'll go that route.

do you need an airbox with the vacuum fittings and breather? if not, most places like baxters and autozone can order various sizes of air cleaners from catalogs...I am sure you could find something with the same opening as that carb has, they make many different sizes for british and german cars, and also some motorcycles and lots of custom sizes for various types of air compressors.

if you need the air box you have there, you could find someone who can weld, and cut out a hole in a thin steel plate the right size for your carburetor, then cut a hole in that air filter housing you have pictured, and then weld the plate in to your air box shown. use weatherstrip or an o-ring as a gasket for the top of the carb, and you will then have that filter sitting in the right location and be able to close your hood.