please help get the goon started!!

thisisn8n

hey guys. im trying to get the goon started TODAY because yesterday ended in failure. i know this is a very searchable question, but i was having trouble finding a picture of the firing order. (picture are for people who dont understand words..) i have an L18 with ae87 head .... i just need sum1 to tell me if this is correct

firingorder.jpg

the pic is for another car, but looks like what i need to do. except for the direction of the distributer.

AND>>>> ive got a dual carb lookin thing goin on and what looks to be two vacuum lines coming off of them. unfortunately i have no idea where they need to go

I MUST STATE ON My BEHALF THAT THIS IS MY FIRST DATSUN... FIRST PROJECT.... and the car was a rolling chassis at start (no references) so please excuse my ignorance

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch this video. It will explain valve timing and distributor position relationship. Hainz video

AND>>>> ive got a dual carb lookin thing goin on and what looks to be two vacuum lines coming off of them. unfortunately i have no idea where they need to go

Not enough info. It could be anything. Post a picture of it. Here's how to post online pictures

be nice to know if you still have points or a EI ignition also.

the blk/wht wire will have 12v when key is ON

then there is a blk/blu wire that is shorted to the blk/grn and you get 12volts during START.

if you have this also good chance your going to get this running.

yea, i bought a whole new harness and it pretty much all connected (to the parts that are there at least ) haha

Not enough info. It could be anything. Post a picture of it. Here's how to post online pictures

You probably have Hitachi SU carbs. These (if you do) are not stock in N Am but there are some around. Because of this they are relatively unknown to most people, how they work how to adjust how to fix. It would be best to post a picture of what you have.

Do they look like these???

710carbs004Large.jpg

You probably have Hitachi SU carbs. These (if you do) are not stock in N Am but there are some around. Because of this they are relatively unknown to most people, how they work how to adjust how to fix. It would be best to post a picture of what you have.

Do they look like these???

710carbs004Large.jpg

they look pretty similar. ill have to take a pic later today (dont have the cam right now)

Join the hoses and run it away from the exhaust and down low. Maybe out to the wheel well. This is to dump excess gas from an overfill condition like a stuck inlet needle or a sunken float. These things don't normally happen, but the vents keep the carbs from spilling gas all over the hot exhaust pipes if it does.

Join the hoses and run it away from the exhaust and down low. Maybe out to the wheel well. This is to dump excess gas from an overfill condition like a stuck inlet needle or a sunken float. These things don't normally happen, but the vents keep the carbs from spilling gas all over the hot exhaust pipes if it does.

Now guessing this is just a temp solution, is there a overflow catcher doohickey that I should grab for the long run?

what was wrong with the old harness?

I dont think it matters in the engine harness but a sedan and wagon were different for the turnsignal swithces.

sedans are 4 pin,wagoons 6 pin.

also depending on year the fuse boxes could be different. esp for the head lites where it gets its power from.

the car came with a couple different hacked up harnesses that werent routed anywhere. due to my lack of datsun knowledge and that i plan on swapping the engine and it was just pretty bare bones. so i figured i start fresh. JEGS 18 curcuit harness was 260. ALOT cheaper than painless.

ohh... theres no turn signal anyway lol

Perhaps someone else can answer this. I wouldn't think so. This is just to get the fuel away from any sources of ignition. Storing it would be counter productive. Again this is a very unlikely event and just a safety measure.

I'm only asking because I proposed the idea to my brother but he reacted like this was sum ludicrous idea n suggested that they should lead to something

the car came with a couple different hacked up harnesses that werent routed anywhere. due to my lack of datsun knowledge and that i plan on swapping the engine and it was just pretty bare bones. so i figured i start fresh. JEGS 18 curcuit harness was 260. ALOT cheaper than painless.

ohh... theres no turn signal anyway lol

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I cant help from here on out as I know nothing of the jegs or painless harnesses.

Personally never seen anybody actually completeing a full harness swap where everything worked esp for a wagon.

Without the vents gas would just spill all over the hot exhaust and vaporize. I have to assume a hose going down beside the steering box and dumping out on the ground and under the car is much more preferable? :)

Honestly I'm on your side. I know my brother has little experience with carbed cars. Thanks for allthe help man