DrColeman's '71 2 Door Build

DrColeman

Okay guys, Figured I would start a build thread. I bought it pretty much set up but like every car you need to make it your own. It’s a 1971 2 door that I picked up from Arizona a few months ago. It has an L18, dogleg 5 speed, flared, 280zx front struts, 200sx rear discs, Panasports, fiberglass hood, decklid and chin spoiler, swaybars front and rear, LSD.

So far I’ve had the SU’s rebuilt, upgraded seatbelts, and thanks to Bob B. added satin BRE stripes.

pics to follow

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys, Figured I would start a build thread. I bought it pretty much set up but like every car you need to make it your own. It’s a 1971 2 door that I picked up from Arizona a few months ago. It has an L18, dogleg 5 speed, flared, 280zx front struts, 200sx rear discs, Panasports, fiberglass hood, decklid and chin spoiler, swaybars front and rear, LSD.

So far I’ve had the SU’s rebuilt, upgraded seatbelts, and thanks to Bob B. added satin BRE stripes.

pics to follow

Ron is my neighbor. He had several 510's growing up in So. Cal. This was in his past . . . then he met me . . . now he's back! :D

Rons11-26-10003.jpg

Rons11-26-10006.jpg

You beat me to the punch!! I couldnt load the pics from my Palm Pixi.....doh

Here it is loaded up in Lake Havasu ready to be hauled back to Colorado...hard to tell but it was a balmy 119 deg!

1291645347.jpg

Got the Bob. B graphics touch......

1291645344.jpg

Had Jeff at Rallye Sport dial in the SU's. Could there be a cooler shop???

1291645345.jpg

I love it man. Actually dig the combo of the molded and bolted on flares. It just rocks. Glad you started a project thread!

I am starting to wonder if CO got any 4-doors! You guys are the 2-door club!

Thanks all! The goal was to buy one with some mods...i just came off a 3 year shoebox Ford build and wasn't ready for another maajor project!!

Bob does have that 4 door we,ve been magpie'in parts off of haha! Yeah, I think we need to start a 2 door CO chapter!

I think I,ll retain the L series, maybe get it hopped up with duals webers some day. No cage since the daughter needs to get in there! I,d like to redo the interior which I,ve started.....workng on installing '72 240 Z buckets

It's great to be back in the Datsun world

• 2 months later...

I've gotten a few more things done on the 71'

Replaced the Panas with some 15x8's.....

P1020573.jpg

P1020574.jpg

I sourced some 72' Z seats, installed em but need to paint the drivers side.....

P1020572.jpg

Working on some coilovers to get the front end down a bit.....

P1290577.jpg

It's been fun working on a 510......it's sooo good to be back!

• 1 month later...

The car has zero rust. Testing the panels with a magnet reavealed no major bondo either. Down side is the hack job for the rear flares. Fortunately they left enough metal to fix it right.

It wasn,t an AZ car it's whole life. The paperwork I received with it shows that a W.J. Rothwell bought it new in Grants Pass, OR on 6/14/71. He has a service log book with the last entry being 8/25/87. After that I,m not sure. It was registered in Temecula CA by Anthony Ritenour in 3/20/2009. I assume it was purchased by the AZ guy after that. I think I,ll eventually contact the original owner and send him pics of what his car turned looks like now.