truck dies when I turn on headlights

laotsu

So I have a 71 PL521 that has run just fine and charged with the IGN light on. I have had intermittent turn signal problems but never really bothered. just used my hand signals when it happened. I converted the old dual points to a matchbox dizzy and use a MSD blaster 2 coil which have all run just tits. recently I left the lights on and drained the battery but it started right up when I push started it. that was a week ago. three days ago i loaned my truck to somone and they returned it saying the truck wont hold a charge. i figured they were a dumbass and found that it drove just fine for me, however the IGN light is now off all the time and the turn signals dont work at all, which is new. I parked it at school and like an idiot left the lights on again. when I got a jumpstart it started but died immediatly when I turned the lights on.

Is this a bad alternator? or is it a bad ground? or is it a short?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

charge the battery or jump it to get running. then put a colt meter on there and see what the output. if low then the truck is running itself out of battery power till it dies. battery could be bad now also pbut usually a low output is the alternator.

or clean the battery posts first. then do the ck. also ck the connections. 521 have lame use box areas and lots of corrossion there. the white wire feeds this I believe.