71 510 SCCA EP auto-x car, now $1500 OBO

Thanks to all of you for caring and trying to work something out. Yeah,

transport is a problem.

Let me restate that I do have a stock dash to include, and also bumpers and

bumper brackets - Those are not from this car and not in great shape, but

they'll get you through inspection if bumpers are required in your state.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can look into the fees and timeframe for a title I would be interested. I would be willing to help out further by paying for the title for you....I just don't want to have to worry about that stuff once it's in Canada.

Cheers

This is copied from the Maryland MVA web site. You'll note that it

gets pricey when you add in minimum tax (of course I can understate

fair market value for titling purposes). Since I think this is a duplicate

title, the total would be $20 + $38.40 = $58.40. Still have to find out

the time frame.

Title Certificate – Corrected $50.00

Title Certificate – Duplicate $20.00

Title Certificate – New / Used $50.00

Titling Tax – Based on Fair Market Value 6%

- minimum tax ($38.40)

Probably easier for the buyer to just bring it home and apply for an abandoned title. As long as Chris doesn't respond to the letter they send him (last registered owner), you'll have a title in 30 days.

Probably easier for the buyer to just bring it home and apply for an abandoned title. As long as Chris doesn't respond to the letter they send him (last registered owner), you'll have a title in 30 days.

That's how the law works in AZ? No response in 30 days and then the abandoned

title you get has the same legitimacy as a normal everyday title? That could be very

useful. I don't think all states have such a procedure, but any state should honor an

AZ certificate of title.

In Maryland, none of the car hustlers I know are aware of a way to convert a salvage

title into a genuine title. MD towing companies are precluded by law from selling to

the GP, and they've told me it has to do with polics - we have a salvage yard monopoly

in southern Maryland - one corporation, Brandywine Auto Parts, owns almost all the

25 or 30 yards down here.

In Virginia, some towing companies can provide you with a pile of affadavits and

paperwork that'll buy you a new title at the DMV.

Some state are title free before a certain age. MA is not, but if I buy a car from a title free state like Maine or NH (3 of my cars have come from there!), I can register it and title it here in Mass- BUT I have to have a copy of the last registration from ME or NH in the sellers name.

This might work in other states too! The hitch would be, if the state it is coming from did require a title, MA would demand that title. It only works with cars from title free states.

But I would suggest folks call their rmv to see what they require.

Hmm... Im considering getting a 510 now :sneaky:

Maryland is only a good 3 hrs for me. I'll talk to my brother and see if he'll snatch it off you.

CT dont need titles on cars over 25 yrs old, but need inspection if they are from a different state.

• Like 1

This helps clarify the title issue as a simple matter of replacement,

along with fees and a 25 mile trip to Annapolis. I have the most recent

registration card, registered in my name; there is a box for title number

that says 35467269. With this document in hand it's a question of

replacing title number 35467269.

Hmm... Im considering getting a 510 now :sneaky:

Maryland is only a good 3 hrs for me. I'll talk to my brother and see if he'll snatch it off you.

CT dont need titles on cars over 25 yrs old, but need inspection if they are from a different state.

More likely 4 hours because I'm in southern Maryland, but still an easy trip. See above about

the title. About inspection, the suspension is real tight because I had to keep it in shape to pass

tech at autox events, and I ran full seasons, not just occasionally. The exhaust probably won't

pass because it's a just an 18" straight pipe with glasspack exiting underneath, and would have

to be extended all the way to the rear.

I'm sure you've already done this, but I was in the same situation just recently. Went through the Making Homes Affordable, been in it for the past year. Got denied, but called back and requested an appeal, which was granted and finally came through. I consider myself lucky, and I know what you mean of getting doubly screwed with bad credit for "missing" payments you haven't missed, so then they deny you and your credit is f***ed to boot.

I wrote two long letters about how I felt and how I was getting screwed, and I faxed those to them too. Don't know if it helped; might have just gotten lucky. I wish you the best in that effort, don't give up the fight, even if it seems too late. A month ago I was about ready to figure out how to buy a U-haul and live out of it.

Above all, try and stay positive.

I'm sorry - I thought you were doing ok with your machine shop and everything. Not

that I'd expect to sell a whole car to someone out in CA. Strange thing is that there are

so few 510's here, and everybody wants one but nobody will actually buy the few that

ever come up FS.

I've got a damned good 10 x 24 Logan cabinet lathe and a decent Taiwanese Edelstaal

milling machine FS too if anyone's interested.

Naw man things have been really bad for me the last couple of years. I won't go into details. But thank god I'm doing really good right now. Finally payed the tax bill for my building so all is good.

More likely 4 hours because I'm in southern Maryland, but still an easy trip. See above about

the title. About inspection, the suspension is real tight because I had to keep it in shape to pass

tech at autox events, and I ran full seasons, not just occasionally. The exhaust probably won't

pass because it's a just an 18" straight pipe with glasspack exiting underneath, and would have

to be extended all the way to the rear.

Just talked to my bro, he doesnt want another project. He's happy with his 36 Ford ratrod :D .

I'm sure you've already done this, but I was in the same situation just recently. Went through the Making Homes Affordable, been in it for the past year. Got denied, but called back and requested an appeal, which was granted and finally came through. I consider myself lucky, and I know what you mean of getting doubly screwed with bad credit for "missing" payments you haven't missed, so then they deny you and your credit is f***ed to boot.

I wrote two long letters about how I felt and how I was getting screwed, and I faxed those to them too. Don't know if it helped; might have just gotten lucky. I wish you the best in that effort, don't give up the fight, even if it seems too late. A month ago I was about ready to figure out how to buy a U-haul and live out of it.

Above all, try and stay positive.

In my case it's property taxes, and the authors of MHA never contemplated helping anyone

with that. All I can do is raise the money to pay, sell the house and get the hell out of Maryland

with money in the bank versus broke.

wow wish you good luck.I,m in west coast Canada.that car would sell here fast for sure.Musta bin fun running

it.Yeah the fat cats realy fucked alot of people over .the middle class is on the verge of dissapearing.

I thought Canada was relatively OK versus middle class disappearing. Yeah, it was fun, but as a member

of the ex-middle class myself I've gotta liquidate everything and travel light from now on. The fat cats

are still at it.

wow wish you good luck.I,m in west coast Canada.that car would sell here fast for sure.Musta bin fun running

it.Yeah the fat cats realy fucked alot of people over .the middle class is on the verge of dissapearing.

I thought Canada was relatively OK versus middle class disappearing. Yeah, it was fun, but as a member

of the ex-middle class myself I've gotta liquidate everything and travel light from now on. The fat cats

are still at it.

Is that one of those, uh, hairless cats?

This is all very useful info about title laws in different states, and it gives me

leverage with the MVA I didn't know about.

It is interesting how it is different from state to state. Folks in MA (where they need a title) have been known to sell an out-of-state titleless car to a friend in New Hampshire (where they don't need a title on cars this old, just a bill of sale I think.) for like $1. The NH buddy registers it in the NH system in their name. Then eventually sells it back to their friend in MA who can then take it to the RMV and register it w/o the title as long as they have the registration from NH.

But you better trust your buddy!

are still at it.

Is that one of those, uh, hairless cats?

not sure what it is but if the ratsun was a real animal,I think it would look somethin like that..

SOLD for $1500

to a guy in GA who's actually looking for a modified car like this.

Thanks to everyone who posted - y'all helped me generate a lot of buzz on

this thing to help getting it sold. That gets me about 60% there on paying property

taxes for the year that's almost critically overdue, and I've still got machine tools

FS with a couple of people interested in those.

Congrats Chris! I am thrilled for you man! Bout time someone jumped on this deal! Hopefully you pointed them to Ratsun so we can keep up with this cool dime!

Congrats Chris! I am thrilled for you man! Bout time someone jumped on this deal! Hopefully you pointed them to Ratsun so we can keep up with this cool dime!

He found me right here on this thread, but I guess he's just one of the quieter members.

I only posted it here this time, not Craigslist ( trying to sell this car on CL was a nightmare).

CL now works ok for selling Datsun parts, I think only because I'm well known here and all

those folks seem to be ratsun members as well as CL shoppers.

I always steer Craigslisters to ratsun. Some occasional lurkers I know here complain of

very slow pageloads even on high speed connections. I can use it fine on dialup so long as

javascript is blocked (using a Firefox plugin I installed) and I try to spread the word on that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.