thermostat housing problems

duggins

hey new member to this forum (this is a awesome forum by the way) still trying to figure this out but anyways i got a 1970 521 a few weeks ago and i went to put a new thermostat in and one of the bolts broke off in the housing, i tried to tap it out but did not work. ANY HELP ON WHERE TO FIND A NEW/USED THERMOSTAT HOUSING???????? any help would be awesome. tried google and ebay but had no luck. ANYONE KNOW IF ANY OTHER MODALS WOULD WORK??

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of used thermostat housing tops and a lower housing for the L motor.

Which motor do you have and which style housing do you have? 2 or 3 bolt top?

thanks.

i have a 1970 521 L16. i just need the lower. and its a 2 bolt top.

If there is any bolt showing you can heat and use vice grips on it.

Coolingsystemtuneup003Large-1.jpg

I've never used an easy out that worked but never heated the metal around it either. If going with an easy out use the largest that will fit and heat with a propane torch. The aluminum housing will expand twice as much as the steel bolt and may be just enough.

Use great care when removing the mounting bolts into the head. They can snap also, specially the long one in the back. I start to loosen it then back it up when forward and get it to rock back and forth, and little by little unscrew it rather than just leaning on it hard.

If there is any bolt showing you can heat and use vice grips on it.

Coolingsystemtuneup003Large-1.jpg

I've never used an easy out that worked but never heated the metal around it either. If going with an easy out use the largest that will fit and heat with a propane torch. The aluminum housing will expand twice as much as the steel bolt and may be just enough.

Use great care when removing the mounting bolts into the head. They can snap also, specially the long one in the back. I start to loosen it then back it up when forward and get it to rock back and forth, and little by little unscrew it rather than just leaning on it hard.

i tried heating it up an i tried an easy out nothing would work i actully broke an easy out in the process. im gonna try to go to a machine shop and see what they can do. but other then that im on a search for a new one. thanks for the help.....

i tried heating it up an i tried an easy out nothing would work i actully broke an easy out in the process. im gonna try to go to a machine shop and see what they can do. but other then that im on a search for a new one. thanks for the help.....

you live in the NW dude, its datto central.... no need to go to a machine shop for a thermostat housing as a first choice.

Datsun parts are a-plenty around here. just pic up a new one from someone on here.

$10.00 plus shipping sound fair. Should fit in a cheap flat rate box. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

i got it fixed. drilled it out and put a sleeve in it. work great..

thanks alot for the help. ill need some help in the future for sure.

BEST FORUM EVER!!!!