sdsurf

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the short answer is...

No.

As far as I know, you need a 521 specific rad, although IIRC one from a 510 will fit... and seeing as a VW Rabbit one will fit in a 510, it should follow that it'll fit in a 521. Someone else might be able to verify...

Do you need a replacement one? If it's super cheap (or free) you might be able to make it work...

I would say dont bother trying.The 521 radiator sits damn close to the fan and the 79 is wider which will likely set it on a higher spot in the core support and put it further towards the radiator.

I would persue the rabbit rad.Jegs catalog has custom fit rads for around $160.At least they used to.The 510 and 521 radiator are the exact same thing so if a place cant get a 521 ask them for a 510..

I have been running a rabbit radiator in my 521 for many years. It will never over heat on you if you use the stock fan. I have run mine with no fan on the motor for several year with just an electric fan with a on off switch. now that my front end is straight enough I can put the stock fan back on!!!and use the electric as a back up here is the article I used : http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_rabbitrad.html

The '79 is also probably a 3 core and will be thicker front to back. That's why the '75 an on rad support is not straight across, but bulges to the front to make more room. The L20B rad is almost certainly wider too.

Just remember that anything can be made to fit, that isn't a drop in.