520 Headliner

zed1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh my 67 520 has the perfd type but its solid like a fiberboard to keep the conture. Everything on mine that I have looked at other than some extra side lights has been stock and in really good condition, so I think it might have been the stock type that year? Anybody?

Mine was just foam-backed vinyl. Folded pretty easily. A little brittle after all the years, but no fiberboard. I doubt it had been replaced on my truck, but who knows.

Datsun may have changed it a year later. I don't know.

Thanks for all the responses.

Is this close to a match: http://www.yourautot.../whiteperf.html

Keith

Close enough, I'd say. I'll take some closer pics when I get back to Portland. I can't remember if there is any sort of grain. I don't think so.

I'd think any of the upholstery spray adhesives would work fine to install it (I've never done it, though). I imagine that's what I'll use when I get to that point.

• 1 year later...

wayno,

Do you have any photos of your new headliner?

Keith

It's in this thread, probably in the last few pages.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24157-waynos-1964-datsun-nl320/page__view__findpost__p__353828__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

Unfortunately the glue used to hold it on failed, if I would have had it fixed right away, there probably would have not been anymore issues, but I didn't have the time, and one really warm day it fell off.

I have had a lot of issues with the stuff I have had done to the car, take my word on this, if your car sits outside, make it water proof before you have a lot of interior stuff done, water has killed me.

I am still figuring out what I am going to do about outside door window exterior squeegees, the rain hits the window, and goes right in the door.:(

The headliner looked really nice when it was put in.

In hindsight, what type/brand of glue should be used?

Thanks,

Keith

In hindsight, I guess I should pay attention to stuff like that, but I don't.

It's not stuff I ever plan to do, headliners, fancy door cards, bench seats, molded carpets, I leave that to people that have the proper machines to do the job, just like I wouldn't expect anyone to attack a 521 kingcab with a stick welder, I suppose it could be done, but it would be difficult to say the least.

In hindsight, what type/brand of glue should be used?

Thanks,

Keith

Hey Keith,

I did Wayno's headliner, seats and door panels. I used the wrong glue for the headliner, although it was supposed to be for that, and it came down. I would suggest when you get your glue, read the can and look specifically for headliner and high heat applications.

It's in this thread, probably in the last few pages.

http://community.rat...__fromsearch__1

Unfortunately the glue used to hold it on failed, if I would have had it fixed right away, there probably would have not been anymore issues, but I didn't have the time, and one really warm day it fell off.

I have had a lot of issues with the stuff I have had done to the car, take my word on this, if your car sits outside, make it water proof before you have a lot of interior stuff done, water has killed me.

I am still figuring out what I am going to do about outside door window exterior squeegees, the rain hits the window, and goes right in the door.:(

The headliner looked really nice when it was put in.

Wayno,

Call me and we can set up some time to do your headliner. Did the rain mess up the door panels?

Wayno,

Call me and we can set up some time to do your headliner. Did the rain mess up the door panels?

Yea, basicly I had to gut it, all the panels warped, I had to rip out most the carpet also, it was soaking wet also, I am working on water proofing it now, I have the door seals and channel felt done, now I have to find somekind of exterior window squeegee that will work, then i'll get to see if the water is coming in anywhere else. I'll get ahold of you this spring. wayno

Ok, Save your panels---I can fix or redo them for free. Old Datsuns.........I still cant find where mine is leaking--I think around the cowl.........talk to ya in the spring.

I can't see where this would be your issue, for you to fix for free.

I am trying to figure out what can be used that water will not effect,

I am not putting anything else in any vehicles that can be effected by water, heat, or the cold weather, as I have no inside vehicle storage, as the garage is full.

The best thing I have so far is that plastic political sign material that you told me about, that stuff is great, but it looks like what it is.