z24 witha ka head aka kaz24???

kezark31

so i heard you can bolt the KA head on the the z block and pick up close to 40 hp depending on the condition of the motor. looking at both head gaskets i belive this is possible. both motors are single row chain driven, the z24 has 106 links at 3/8 pitch while the ka has 102 links @ 3/8 pitch aswell, why is there no builds like this or anything in the jason grey page of this hybrid?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if ya look closer you"ll notice the napz and the ka heads are a touch different their a big hole in ka head which is a oil drain back on the napz block that big hole is a coolant passage. Also, The Normal coolant passeges are a different shape. Dunno if that makes much of a difference???? I have a napz block, and a 12v ka head, and have contemplated doing this but in the end it would cost more prolly than to just buy a 12v ka engine, and I would have fuel injection!

• 2 weeks later...

dug through ozdat could not find anything on this conversion. i got my z24 head torn off. i may just go L series head. the z24 head is cracked between the valves on number 3. i have an fresh surfaced u67 head, i also have a w58 head, wich head would be better to use?

Guest kamakazi620

dug through ozdat could not find anything on this conversion. i got my z24 head torn off. i may just go L series head. the z24 head is cracked between the valves on number 3. i have an fresh surfaced u67 head, i also have a w58 head, wich head would be better to use?

Either one as long as its open chamber

Either one as long as its open chamber

Both will give a 9.47 compression ratio so you may need a higher octane fuel.

You know that you will have to modify the length of both the timing chain and an L20B timing cover. The Z24 is at least 2cm or 3/4" taller than any other L series cover. See Hang_510 on here I think he still has a cover around that was modified.

The Z24 head gasket must be used with holes added to match the L20B h/g and with the front removed and an L20B grafted on to fit the new timing cover at the front. A used one is fine as this isn't holding in any compression or water. It only has to seal in fumes and oil spray.

yeah i know about the timing chain my buddy al says eperly has some of the mercedes links so i might hit him up. as for the timing cover i thinl i will just have some ears welded to my z24 cover. can a LZ24 handle any boost instock form with 9 plus compression ratio? im sure super will be a must as welll as a step colder plugs maybe 2 steps. i was thinking 4 to 7 psi intercooled of course. is there any one on this form running an lz24 in a 720?

Better re-think it. A KA24E head on a Z24 will have a 7.61 compression ratio. A bit low even with turbo.

Stock hypereutectec pistons won't survive boost in the 9s without extremely well controled fuel mixtures and lots of detonation control.

Boostin' a motor is (or should be) more involved than that. The motor can make 50% or more power. Stress on parts goes up. Heat will build dangerously if the stock system can't get rid of it. Lubrication is even more essential. The next weakest link in the drive train will break, not may break.

Boostin' a motor is (or should be) more involved than that. The motor can make 50% or more power. Stress on parts goes up. Heat will build dangerously if the stock system can't get rid of it. Lubrication is even more essential. The next weakest link in the drive train will break, not may break.

im aware of whats involved. i just have not scene any boosted lz24's. i just wondering if a stock bottom end can handle 4-7 psi with 9.4 to 1 compresion ratio. fuel and spark control are not an issue i have a stand alone system sitting in the shop. i plan on tossing in some new rings and bearings before i slap it all together.

Have you considered using the Z24 cross flow head. Turbo would have all kinds of room without the intake in the way. Cross flow head is perfect for an inter cooler application. The Z motors use dual plugs and run half the ignition advance than the L series. The compression would be a more manageable 8.5. Z24s are a hemi combustion chamber.