MSD Coils???

PEZi720

Been searching around a bit... doin some research and I technically have 2 questions that I can't find answers for.

1)Is there ANY advantage of using an MSD coil to replace stock ones? Not using any sort of aftermarket ignition here... simply new coils.

2) What freakin part number would I use for the dual coils on a Z24?

Thanks guys...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw no difference. To me, a MSD Blaster 2 coil is just a coil. Works with my Matchbox, that's all that matters. Only reason I had it was it came in a car, I'd replaced it because it didn't work well with the Pertronix (no reason to risk frying the pertronix) so when I had an EI coil die I just used the MSD.

I mean, I noticed an immediate difference in that it WORKED, since my old coil was flaking out, but compared to a working stock EI coil it was nothing special.

i replaced my coil when i swapped engines and swapped to electronic ignition, i used the blaster 2 coil because everyone else did. i dotn knwo that the col itself was any better but i noticed a big difference when i swapped from points with the points coil to the matchbox with the blaster 2. I doubt it had anything to do with the coil but im sure that the msd coil is made with alot better quality components compared to some cheap economy brand coil. buying 2 blaster 2 coils isnt cheap, i would go with the best house brand option at an outs parts store (not oreillys!!) you will have 2 new coils at a fraction of the cost, and wont be able to tell a bit of difference

Shiny red coils don't impress me. It's human nature to believe that the more you spend on something the better it runs. If you've got a stock Nissan matchbox/coil(s)/wires/rotor and cap, new or in good shape, and then invested $200-$300 in coils, wires, MSG boxes, it's really hard to be objective about any improvements. That's a lot of money for some shine. You want the same results? Get a quality set of wires, plugs, rotor and a cap for your Nissan matchbox.... and a can of red paint for the coil!

Why are you changing the coils? They work or they don't.

Hitachi made

Z24 (carb) motor.... intake and exhaust coils..... 22433 10W00 About $60-$70 each.

This is the TBI motor with ECU and crank angle sensor. The coils are fired by a power transistor and are much different than the previous Z24 engine coils.

Hitachi made

Z24i (efi) motor, intake coil............ 22448 89W00

Z24i (efi) motor, exhaust coil ....... 22448 90W00 Around $200 each!

What makes you think the coils need replacing? Have you checked them for spark? If the exhaust side isn't working it's the first fuse on the left hand side of the fuse box.

Well... essentially I feel its just time to replace them. They're 26 years old... I race the truck... Just feel its time.

It seems that MSD is worthless from what I've heard thus far... But I already have good wires and epic plugs... so just looking for anything else I can get essentially. Dunno what I'll do yet at this point.

I will say that, i seem to have noticed a difference when i swapped the stock coil on my 80 720, to the one off a hard body. seemed to have a bit more pep, and run a little smoother? Maybe my plugs were old and shitty and the hardbody coil just made them burn hotter? Who knows... Maybe it was just me thinking it was better since it had a better coil in it..