5 speed short tail

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think DQ is running a rebuild in the latest 2 issues.

it looks like ill have my spare dogleg avail... new synchros recomended, grinds downshifting into 2nd. came out of my wagon.

id condsider shipping it for cost and a few $$ to box it up.

im in the market for a KA 5spd myself or a KA bell housing.

I think the latest 2 DQ mags has the rebuild for the <a name="FSSW63A">FS5W71. I am not sure if that is the short-tail dogleg or not. I have a FS5W63A, and I am pretty certain that is a short tail dogleg. That rebuild was covered in DQ Vol 7 Issue 1. It was a pretty good article, and easy to follow. However, I haven't done it yet myself.

I think the latest 2 DQ mags has the rebuild for the <a name="FSSW63A">FS5W71. I am not sure if that is the short-tail dogleg or not. I have a FS5W63A, and I am pretty certain that is a short tail dogleg. That rebuild was covered in DQ Vol 7 Issue 1. It was a pretty good article, and easy to follow. However, I haven't done it yet myself.

There are long doglegs but only shorts were offered in North Am cars.

Im trying to not shorten my driveshaft, hence the short tail.

and what I meant about the dime quaterly site was this page: http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/transmissions.html#swaps

I have no idea how much like a tranny is too ship. If it isnt too bad I could definitely entertain the idea.

I would drive a good distance too, Seattle is not too far for me. And any where in a similar distance.

This http://dimequarterly...ions.html#swaps though generally good, I'm afraid, is full of errors.

The '77-'79 200sx 5 speed dogleg is the the same length and the same 1-4 gear ratios as the stock 510 sedan 4 speed and will swap in without having to shorten the drive shaft. The speedo drive is also on the same side. The shifter fits the hole but the transmission mount will need to be modified. That's about it.

Oh further, the HL510 (A-10) had a 5 speed dogleg option on US ('78-'79 Hardtops) and Can ('78-'80 Hardtops) with L20B motor only.

So final gearing of the 5 speed is the same of the 4 speed? How is it compared to the automatic? The car likes to shift into 3rd at 40, and it feels like there should be a 4th gear by the time it hits 55-60.

My car has a BW auto. I want to make it a manual (feel like the torque converter is robbing power). Should I be looking for a dogleg 5 speed or be happy with a 4 speed? I imagine a 4 speed is cheaper and easier to find.

Nissan 5 speeds are overdrive 5th. An overdrive lowers the RPMs below 4th gear at the same speed to increase cruise economy. There are some competition trannys with 5 speeds and no overdrive.

Shifts into high at 40??? My 710 shifts (at moderate throttle) by the time I hit the other cross walk, (feels like second) then rev and rev and rev ... damn will this thing never shift?? rev, rev, rev 50, 60, 80,....... did 90MPH in it once. And this is with 4.11 diff!!!!

Actually I'm impressed with the snap in it though it's likely the gearing.

4 speeds are thrown away so grab one and convert it. There is no difference with using a dogleg 5 speed. They have exactly the same gaers so it isn't any faster 1st through 4th.... same. It does have an RPM reducing 5th overdrive gear and the shift pattern is different.... oh it's slightly stronger, but that's it. In a race the 4 and 5 speed would be the same.

Yes the auto shifts into 3rd at 40 with moderate acceleration. I might say here that I am use to driving a modern vehicle that can accelerate much faster and I may be driving the datsun too hard to regularly, but I am really not pressing the gas pedal that much. That said, I have had the car fully loaded (couldnt see out the rear window), an hit 87 on flat land. At 60-65 if I hit the gas pedal too far it will downshift to 2nd; not really convinced there is more torque in 2nd than 3rd at 60 mph. It does have a Weber 32/36.

Anyways I think I will grab a 4 speed, and keep an eye out for a dogleg. Craigslist has 3 4speeds local to me at $10 each, might buy them all...

Guest kamakazi620

Yes the auto shifts into 3rd at 40 with moderate acceleration. I might say here that I am use to driving a modern vehicle that can accelerate much faster and I may be driving the datsun too hard to regularly, but I am really not pressing the gas pedal that much. That said, I have had the car fully loaded (couldnt see out the rear window), an hit 87 on flat land. At 60-65 if I hit the gas pedal too far it will downshift to 2nd; not really convinced there is more torque in 2nd than 3rd at 60 mph. It does have a Weber 32/36.

Anyways I think I will grab a 4 speed, and keep an eye out for a dogleg. Craigslist has 3 4speeds local to me at $10 each, might buy them all...

Save yer moneys Homeboy!!! i gots a 4 speed you can HAVE!!!!! out of a 71 510 YO!!!

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.