Engine wont stay running! :(

Mini-L320

So just took the 210 out for a spin to my garage down the road. After leaving the garage the engine stalled out (shut off) Engine starts up but wont stay running now. I havent driven it since Sunday, and I think my brother used it on monday. Yesterday went to go use it but Fuel Gauge was reading Empty. So I went to the gas station an put $20 into it which is 6.7XX Gallons of gas. Was running great, just went from Home to the gas station and back. So yesterday I barely used it. Took it out today and damn thing keeps dying on me.

Im gonna check the Fuel Filter first and see. Cause I never let my Fuel Tank get to Empty NEVER!!

Rule Numero 1: Never let someone drive your datsun!!!! :angry: (Especially if they are related to you) :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drive it till it quits and check the fuel level in the carb. If full it's likely water in it or something blocking the main jet. A fiter will stop dirt even if it plugs up but will pass water.

Thats the problem the engine quits as soon as it starts. Wont stay running. I can see 3/4 of gas threw the little glass.

My gauge was reading empty as I left to the gas station yesterday and car drove ok even when I added $20 worth of gas. drove the car like 5 minutes max. Went to get gas and back home. Now Today damn thing wont stay running. It also hesitates when driving.

Im gonna swap the Fuel Pump from my brothers 210 and see what happens with that.

I have had the same problem in the past. Cause was a slight restriction in the fuel line, allowed enough fuel to idle and fill the float bowl but as you put it under load it would die. Disconnect the fuel line at the tank and at the filter and blow out the line with an air compressor in both directions a couple of times. While you have the fuel line off the tank, drain any remaining deposits that may be sitting on the bottom that may be waiting to haunt you. After drained run a gallon or so of fuel through the tank to make sure all crud is gone.

Hope this helps.

Yeah so I ripped the Hitachi Carb of the Manifold to take it apart and it wasnt a pretty Sight <_<

there was dirt on the bottom of the Float Bowl and the Jets were a bit clogged up. Looks Like i Should off put the Air Filter a bit Sooner :D . So I fgured instead of payind $20 for a rebuild kit I'll rather pay $35 for an adapter plate so I can use my Weber Carb Instead which I already rebuilt completely. Ready to Go!!!

Oh and the gasket from the Hitachi carb was completely just worn down and torn, so pieces of gaskets were floating around also.

I figure why not. I got the weber already ready to be used. Are webers a really Pain in the Ass?

Nope!! Mine is great. I literally just slapped the adapter on, slid on the weber, made an easy throttle bracket, and DONE! Much better throttle response. deeper tone, better drive-ability

Nope!! Mine is great. I literally just slapped the adapter on, slid on the weber, made an easy throttle bracket, and DONE! Much better throttle response. deeper tone, better drive-ability

Nice, yeah Im gonna order an adapter right now hopefully by next week I'll get the car done and set. I took the throttle cable bracket from the stock Hitachi Carb and mounted it on the weber, fits prefectly.

You can't beat the Hitachi. It's what was intended for the Datsun and works perfectly and gives the best mileage. On the bad side it is extremely complex. Now zoom ahead 30-40 years.and 200K miles and 8 owners who drove the shit out of it and only changed the fuel filter when they had to........

Dear Ratsun, my carb is a piece of shit what should I do????

The Hitachi is simply worn out, may have been rebuilt 3 or 4 times by idiots who each left a part out and put the others in wrong. The Weber is likely in better shape and a 32/36 Weber is larger than the stock carb so of course the Weber looks like it runs better! Webers are simpler, and much easier to re-build, but like any carb are subject to wear. If going to a Weber get a new one. Why put in someone else's problems?