VG30 swap questions

My plan is to swap the L18 in my 510 for a a NA vg30 that i'm getting from my friend who is swapping it out for a turbo vg30 in his 300zx. he is going to give me the turbo parts car as well. He also said I can have the t-5 turbo trans if i'm going to use it. I know it's not as good as the NA trans but it's free! the question is are the mounting points on the turbo trans the same as the NA trans? I plan on using the vg30.com swap parts. another related question, has anyone used stock exaust manifolds with this swap? even with some grinding? the vg30.com headers look nice but i'm trying to keep this VERY low budget. Thanks and here's a pic of the dime SDC14502.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking Dime man! Heh I have a free vg30 sitting under my workbench too. Not even sure what I want to put it in but it was free so I jumped on it. Missing a ton of stuff though, but I though if nothing else I could use it for testfitting.

What I really want is a VG33er. There is a guy around here selling everything needed to convert a normal VG33 to the ER supercharger. Tempting! That would be amazing in my 1959!

No answers for you, but just joining the love for the VG score!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here we go. Do not use the Turbo 5 Speed trans! It will fit after you hack the car up and it is bigger, heavier and has shitty gearing in it for what you want to do. It is a T-5 but a crap T-5 at that!

Get a NA 5 Speed and make your life easier. As for the exhaust manifolds, they work just fine if you use the ones from a mid 80's 200SX with the VG in it. They are individual manifolds and will only require slight grinding on the driver side one to clear the steering box, but, in the long run, save up and get the headers, they are well worth it.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

P.S. MODS! WE NEED A VG30 STICKY!!!!!!!!!

You want the NA FS5W71C from the '84 and up 300zx. A bit of overkill but you could use the FS5R30A from the '86 and up turbo 300zx also. In both cases get the drive shaft spline so it can be mated to your stock drive shaft. The 510 spline is different (smaller)

If just a VG30, you might find the FS5W71C from a D21 easier and cheaper to source.

• Like 1

Not to hijack your thread, but i just purchased a 71 510 with a VG30 turbo engine installed but not wired in, when it comes to wiring, im completely cluless, i even did some searching around and found diagrams, but, still clueless. Do any of you guys know someone that can do the wiring for me on this car, preferbly around my area, which is So. California.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1