L-series I.D.

VintageRice

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a support "rib" near the back of the block on the right side(spark plug side). Kinda hard to explain , but the L18 has one(as does the L20b), the L16 does not. The L20b also has this "rib", so if you see the 4-bolt timing cover at this rib, you know it's an L20b. If you see this rib and the timing cover is a 2-bolt, think L18. Also, the casting for L20b and L18s on the block will be "A87". I believe for L16s, it's "U20"

Photo1012.jpg

You can't rely on the casting numbers. I've seen L16s with 210, A87, and another casting I can't recall. I've seen L18s with A87 castings. Most L20B have U60 or U67, but I've seen W blocks as well. The W-block L16s and L20Bs are actually NAPS-Z castings that were machined to L-series spec, made in 1979 or later. You find those as former "crate" engines that the dealer sold back in the 80s. I could go through my engine pile and compile, but the only way to REALLY know is look at the engine serial tag.

someone please please explain to me why in the hell you would want to tell any other way than simply reading the L20B stamped so nicely on the side of the block.

its right there in front of your face it will either say l18 l16 or l20, simple as that

Well spank you helpy helperton. :blink:

I'm a few hundred miles from this car and the guy does'nt know how to check. Thought posting on the forum would be easy, and so far is has. Thanks to everyone whos helping. :thumbup:

• Like 2

This is easier than rubbing grease off the block to read the lettering.

L18 (and L16) Have single bolt hole on either side at front. The left bolt is out but you can just see the right bolt head (far top right.

Lwaterpump005Large-1.jpg

L20B Note twin front bolt holes about 3/4 inch apart on both sides. 3/4" (actually 2cm) is the difference in deck height between L16/18s and the L20Bs. L16/18 covers would only have the bottom bolt hole on each side. Head gasket is squared off at front with 2 threaded bolt holes on front top corners.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers001Large.jpg

Z20 or Z22 Same front side bolt holes as the L20B but the head gasket shape is more rounded and with 4 threaded bolt holes on top. Same 2cm higher deck height as the L20B.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers002Large.jpg

Z24 Identical to the Z20 and Z22 covers (above) but the front twin bolt holes on each side are 1 1/2" apart, just enough to notice. 1 1/2" is 4cm or 2cm taller than the L20B/Z20/Z22 block.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers003Large.jpg

KA24E Identical top front gasket shape and 4 threaded bolt holes on top as the Z24, but with single front bolt holes on each side. The KA shares the L and Z oil pump and drive spindle with the Z but the water pump is totally different. The KA also has the 2 cm taller deck height as the Z24.

LZandKA24Etimingcovers004Large.jpg