Master Cylinder out?

ortuna

Hey guys,

Just wanted to make sure before I actually buy the part. I tried to bleed the brakes on my 72' 510 sedan. Starting with the rear PS bleeder. I had one of those one man bleeding bottles with the hose lying around, and hooked it up and loosened the bleeder. Pressed the pedal in(went to the floor), saw some air move thru the line. The line had some fluid left in it from a previous bleed on another car so I could see if anything was indeed happening. I then let go of the pedal. and the air was going back in? So all in all, air was just going up and back down the tube. Master cylinder was full. I turned the bleeder to almost off and no fluid at all coming out. Same issue on the other side.

I then went to the front and it bleeds normal. Well, somewhat. I was able to get at least 15-20% of the pedal pressure back after bleeding the front. And the front brakes *seem* to work when the car runs and I try to stop, but only somewhat and very slowly.

I searched and to no avail. But I was able to find something on this at http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29620 This post about a 280z I believe is saying it sounds like the master cylinder is bad.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say but if the line is empty it will take many pumps to fill it and have fluid come out the back. Be sure there is brake fluid in the bottom of the bottle and the hose end submerged so you can see any bubbles and that only fluid is sucked back up. (if at all) When pumping, bubbles will come out the hose as the fluid travels down the line and displaces it out the hose. Keep pumping and have someone keep the master full. Eventually fluid will come out the end. Possibly discolored, even black sometimes.... stop when it is clean. Go to the other rear wheel and repeat.