HELP Z wont start..

erikmendoZa03

so today i changed the hoses of my Z, after successfully changing the hoses i drove the car for 30 minutes, when i got back home i let it idle,it was idling for a few minutes and i noticed the RPM just drops so i reved it then it was fine then i let it idle but the RPM dropped again, then and it turned off, after that the car wont start anymore,

im sure its not the starter, i know i used the right hoses, i cant figure out what could be wrong,

need all your advise

thank you!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to basics.... Hainz once said " L series are easy. If you have fuel and spark they will start"

Pull a plug wire off and put a screw driver in the end, hold near valve cover and crank. Should have spark.

Because you had the fuel filter off I would suspect a fuel delivery problem. Pull fuel line off of the pump on the carb side and see if it pumps fuel into a container. Watch out it really shoots out when working.

It will only flow if it siphons out. There isn't an electric fuel pump on the early Z cars.

Because you had the fuel filter off I would suspect a fuel delivery problem. Pull fuel line off of the pump on the carb side and see if it pumps fuel into a container. Watch out it really shoots out when working.

Well if you are getting fuel to your SUs it should start. Remember you need fuel AND spark. Check for spark.

I think the filter would work either way.

After cranking with the chokes on can you smell gas in the tail pipe?

THE Z IS BACK!!!!

thank you all for the advice!

so this is what i did. i checked for sparks, and sparks was shooting out.

pulled the line out by the filter and no gas was coming out, so i gave the car a blow job (first time and im glad its with my Z hehehe)

still, no gas was coming out,

the line wasnt air tight so i re-tightened the clamps. and sucked on the line until gas squirted (now i know how 91 grade tastes like)

reconnected the lines and restarted the car, with no luck..

so i pulled the other line by the carb and sucked on it. reattached the line

and cranked the engine. it took 6 seconds of cranking then ZOOM! it started.. :)

thank you very much for the advices datzenmike, skib and h2theizzo!

p.s gasoline can definitely get you buzzed..