Clutch Hydraulic Hose

boxboy

The last step in repairing my clutch is rebuilding the Slave cylinder and replacing the hydraulic hose. However, I can't seem to source the hose. I know I could take it off and have one built somewhere, but I am lazy and that takes a lot of driving and time for me since I am rural. I could swear Rock Auto had them a few weeks ago, but I waited and now they aren't listed anymore. Anyone know where I can get one, or if the brake lines are the same and can be substituted? Also, are the rebuild kits from RA any good?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 520/521 are the same hose. The 620 is a different number but may work for length.

Measure the length. The B-210 4 speed is 10 1/2" long, the 240/260/280/510/610/710/A10/810 are the same and 8" long and the B-210 5 speed is 8 3/4".

My info shows the same part number for 520/521 from October '66 up. The 620 is almost identical to the 521 truck and the 620 hose is 10 3/4" long. It may be thicker or different shaped ends that fit the hold down on the body but the threads are almost for sure the same and will work.

Okay, now I am really pissed! I went to measure the thing and was looking to see if it was leaking, because i am losing fluid in the reservoir. No leak. So I checked the slave, no leak. Even though I just replaced the MC I checked it. Sure enough, all wet inside the cab! What the heck? This Master Cylinder has less that 300 miles on it and it is bad? How does that happen? Could have I installed it wrong somehow to make it wear out that quick? As far as I can tell there is no adjustment on it, and no shims. Can you help with that one?

thats sucks.

everytime i've ordered a slave hose for my 521's they've been wrong threads. schucks and rockauto. if you find something that fits please post the brand/part number and where you bought it.

same problem with the brake hoses. i think the master catalog the parts houses use is wrong as it is with the 521 inner bearings. says they can get them but they're always wrong.

Hmm. I got my rear brake hose from RA and it seemed right to me. It works anyway. Not quite sure what to do with the M/C now. I have the old NABCO M/C and could rebuild that one. I think my first trip should be to NAPA and see if they will stand by the one they sold me about 3 months ago. I doubt it though. If anyone can tell me if I did something wrong installing it, I would like not to make the same mistake again. There just didn't seem to be anything to adjust. There is an adjustment on the slave cylinder, but the nuts are froze and I can't move them. I don't know that that would solve anything anyway. I just know that there was no play in the M/C when I installed it. It may have even been compressed the slightest bit. But where is the adjustment if the rod doesn't have threads?

Update on the M/C situation. I went and got a replacement from NAPA. They stood by their product, for which I was relieved. Any way, I brought it home and did some measuring. Turns out the new M/C's plunger rod was about 3/8 inch longer than the original. So I swapped the old rod into the new M/C and now my peddles are even and the clutch is working. I am happy once again. :)

The newer MCs some will have a longer rod that can hit the pedal arm.

so what I did on (Datto510) 521 truck . he hack sawed it off and put the end back on.

I think this was a Beck Arnely part.

The Reybestos one might fit better

they all made in taiwan but the plunger parts that go inside were different.

I assume the one you had went bad cause it was overextening inside. dont dont really need that much travel.

That very well could be why it went bad. Just don't tell NAPA that! I see no reason why using the old thrust rod should be an issue. I had to use the old rubber boot and the old retaining clip, but they were in good shape. I don't have welding skills, so I couldn't do the cut and shorten idea. Hopefully this one works out for a while.