Automatic Heart Attackitc

PtheDude

Allright, the Sano-Orange 75's been on blocks for a month. It's an Auto, purchased running but not driving.

Junkyard tranny, the PO told me that the Torque converter was bad cuz it came from the original tranny.

Replaced the torque today with a known good. got her running, threw it into gear, and NUTHIN.

ARRGGHHH.

the vacume lines are connected. there's a wee bit ' o fluid in the tranny, the input shaft is there.

Any insight anyone can give, we'd appreciate it!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a wee bit ' o fluid in the tranny,

What does this mean???? It's essential to have the correct level of ATF in the automatic, do not over fill.

Autos change gears and hold themselves in gear by hydraulic pressure. There is a pump in the main body behind the torque converter. Is there enough ATF in it?

If you remove one of the cooling lines on the rad and run it does fluid pump out? If so the pump may be alright. This would leave the valve body. The valve body Is full of valves and springs that direct the hydraulic fluid to the correct clutches. When I get home I'll look at my flow charts for the auto.

The linkage is working on the side of the tranny? Does anything happen in any of the gear positions at all?

mike

Mike, we will check the fluid level again, run it and pull the Radiator hose to see if we have a working pump.

linkage is good.

vacume hoses are connected.

the tranny is a JY unit, out of a 280z. I have another one, purchased via RATSUN.

any other ideas we can try?

When I got my automatic back from the rebuilder he told me to pour 1 quart of transfluid into the torque converter. He also told me to fill the trans with fluid to the level on the dip stick, start the motor and in about 60 seconds check & add fluid as needed. This is because other than assembly fluid the trans is dry as was probably your JY trans. If you did not top off the fluid to the dip stick level, you risk the chance of ruining the pump & torque converter. Worst thing in my book for an automatic transmission is to run them low on fluid.

Like Mike said it has to have fluid to work the fluid is not just a lubricant.

The second worst thing next to too little fluid is too much. It will contact the spinning moving parts and because ATF is very detergent it will whip up like a desert topping. This will get sucked into the pump and because air is compressible the hydraulic pressure will drop. Loss of pressure will allow the clutches to slip and wear and get hot burning the fluid. If too full pull a cooling line to the rad and run briefly to drain out the extra.

• 2 weeks later...

well tripple topping off the fluid didnt make it work, so out comes the engine, now along with the JY tranny, and we'll put on the one I got via Ratsun.

Tripple topping off????????? Did you overfill!!!!!

The second worst thing next to too little fluid is too much. It will contact the spinning moving parts and because ATF is very detergent it will whip up like a desert topping. This will get sucked into the pump and because air is compressible the hydraulic pressure will drop. Loss of pressure will allow the clutches to slip and wear and get hot burning the fluid. If too full pull a cooling line to the rad and run briefly to drain out the extra.