Are all oil pumps created equal

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Thinking a new oil pump would be a good idear on the KA, but I was wondering if there's a major difference between say a Melling oil pump (almost $100), and a janky 'Ch'issan no-namer oil pump (around $40). I realize an oil pump is not a place to go cheap and skimp out. Years ago a guy wouldnt even think twice before buying a trusted brand, but with so many things being made overseas by the hands of cheap labor, I gotta wonder if they're just switching the boxes on us. What are your ideas on this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't a ka pump just a zx turbo pump?

Generally, yes. I've checked the part numbers and they all seem different. This could be because of different relief spring pressure rates. All the ones I have taken apart appear to have the same internal parts. FWIW the low volume have all had 11 to 15 cast on the sides... the high volume were 33s and up, but do NOT go by this when looking for one. If searching the wrecking yards beware that the KA you found could hae had it replaced by a low volume my mistake. Know what you are looking for!!!