Grinding when turning full left

I'm getting a grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the car whenever I turn the wheel fully to the left. My 510 is lowered on ground control coilovers/280zx struts in the front. Otherwise, steering is totally normal. I don't think it's the wheel contacting the wheel well, since there doesn't appear any deformation of the metal in that area. Also, the same sound isn't made when I turn the wheel fully to the right.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you just install any of the parts?

just lower it?

look for rub marks on inner fender, spring perches/adjusters, tie rod ends, wheel lips(inside)and control arms

if no rubbing.....wheel bearings?

jack up noisy side and shake down tire. put both hands on tire and shake up and down, then right to left.

hope it helps. theres not a whole lot it could be.

Negative. Purchased it from the previous owner yesterday. It's one of the issues that was never dealt with.

I'll take a peek in the wheel well to see if there are any rub marks. I'll check the wheel bearings while I'm at it. I think I'll have some time to give it my attention tomorrow after I'm done teaching.

Thanks for the help.

I'm glad there aren't too many things it could be. I'm still just warming up to working on cars. The fewer the things, the better.

If 280zx spindles then 280zx bearings. I find bearings have a growl sound. Grind sounds more like the rim against the caliper or rubbing the zx strut. Even rubber against inner fender. Best to get the wheel off and have a good look.

If you just got the car check to make sure that the wheels are bolted on properly and that the lugs are grabbing the stud threads of an amount at least equal to the diameter of the stud (hope that makes sense)

Some little bastard loosened my lugnuts back in the day and I drove my car home thinking it was a wheelbearing (sounded very similar) I ended up trashing the wheel and my lugnuts and my studs... I could damn near pull the wheel over the lugs the holes were so wallowed out :blink: Its one of those things I check now...

I just ordered a full T3 suspension setup to replace the stuff that's already on the dime. While I'm doing the swap, I'll make sure to seriously scope out the wheel well, and swap the bearings (they probably need replacing anyway).

Thanks again guys for all your help.