How to convert an L24(e) to carbs

Hi Guys,

I'm building a datsun replica that you guys have discussed in the past discussed in the past. The plan is to power it with an L24(e) that I pulled out of a 1982 maxima station wagon. I'm considering converting that engine to carburetors so I can avoid the first generation fuel injection/ECU etc. The reason I'm writing is to ask you guys for advice on this conversion.

I know people with parts from a few different years of 240Z (71, 73, 74, and 75) who are willing to sell me stuff, but don't know which years I should consider. I'm wondering about the following:

• Are all the L24 parts from all the years compatible/interchangable
  • If not, which of those years will work best on a 1982 L24(e) from a maxima
  • What else will I need to do this, other than an intake manifold and matching carbs
  • What vendor(s) do you guys recommend dealing with for carb rebuild kits (black dragon??)
  • What should I look out for or avoid in this conversion?

I'm open to advice here. Let me know the best way to pull this off.

Thanks,

JoeyM

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some differences in the rods between the L24E and the earlier L24 in the 240z. You'll have to research this but the piston pin may be a different diameter so both rod and piston will nor inter-change with the earlier ones.

The '82 dizzy with EI may be ok but I had an '82 L24E and the dizzy matchbox has an extra set of terminals on the side. AVOID! If you run without the EFI you will get up to 20 degrees retard on the timing as it revs up. The matchbox is marked E12 93 Here's a pic... (lower right side)

DatsunEI003Large-1.jpg

I know people with parts from a few different years of 240Z (71, 73, 74, and 75) who are willing to sell me stuff,

Im lookin to get rid of a Z car SU intake thats been shaved and port matched if your interested.

Are all the L24 parts from all the years compatible/interchangable

as far as intake/carb stuff goes, yes

If not, which of those years will work best on a 1982 L24(e) from a maxima

70-74 came with SU's, the 70-72 are best recommended (the "round top" SU's) as there is no smog crap and then it all went to EFI in 75

What else will I need to do this, other than an intake manifold and matching carbs

Mike covered you on the dizzy and other than that I think you just need your carbies

What vendor(s) do you guys recommend dealing with for carb rebuild kits (black dragon??)

if your going SU's go to Z Therapy,

Steve isnt cheap but you get what you pay for, you will have a band new set of SU's when hes done and no one does em better.

for L6 parts and stuff in general hit up MSA (thezstore.com)

What should I look out for or avoid in this conversion?

again, Mikes got ya covered in the dizzy dept and for carbs, avoid the 73-74 flat top SU's, there loaded up with smog crap

Are all the L24 parts from all the years compatible/interchangable

I just became aware that the L24 was available in both long block and short block form. Based on what you've said, an L24 intake and carbs should fit on my L24(E), and it should not matter if they come off a long block or short block. Am I reading that correctly?

I just became aware that the L24 was available in both long block and short block form. Based on what you've said, an L24 intake and carbs should fit on my L24(E), and it should not matter if they come off a long block or short block. Am I reading that correctly?

Long Block and Short Block typically refer to the amount of accillaries (things on the outside of the motor) that the block has when sold.

A Long Block would have everything, fan to flywheel, valve cover to oil pan.

A Short Block will just be the engine, and you have to bolt everything back on from your own motor.

In this case, Long Block and Short Block do not refer to lengths of the block itself. As Skib had said:

Long Block and Short Block typically refer to the amount of accillaries (things on the outside of the motor) that the block has when sold.

A Long Block would have everything, fan to flywheel, valve cover to oil pan.

A Short Block will just be the engine, and you have to bolt everything back on from your own motor.

In this case, Long Block and Short Block do not refer to lengths of the block itself. As Skib had said:

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense. I was looking at parts prices online to get an idea what the conversion would cost, and saw "long block" and "short block"....I thought there must have been two different castings....good to know that's not the case.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense. I was looking at parts prices online to get an idea what the conversion would cost, and saw "long block" and "short block"....I thought there must have been two different castings....good to know that's not the case.

all L24 blocks are the same,

on any motor "long block" means its the bottom end(assembled block and internals) and head while a "short block" is just the bottom end with no head.

There are some differences in the rods between the L24E and the earlier L24 in the 240z. You'll have to research this but the piston pin may be a different diameter so both rod and piston will nor inter-change with the earlier ones.

not true, they're the same!

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/93498-truth-about-l-series-rod-weight-and-l28et-ring-lands/

L24E – This engine was in my Z when I purchased it. As it turns out, the early L24E engines from 810 cars have the desirable 133mm rods w/ 9mm rod bolts which are exactly the same as what came in the late L24 engines in the Z cars.

Well after reading this he says the L24E was in his Z car when he got it..... so what 810 or Maxima is it out of? Also he says "the early L24E" does this infer that there was a later L24E with different rods?? or crank, or something?? Not arguing, just trying to back up what I said earlier. Yes, I'm still looking.

Well after reading this he says the L24E was in his Z car when he got it..... so what 810 or Maxima is it out of? Also he says "the early L24E" does this infer that there was a later L24E with different rods?? or crank, or something?? Not arguing, just trying to back up what I said earlier. Yes, I'm still looking.

L24 rods are the same except 5-71 - 6-81 rods had a 9mm bolt (up to 4-71 the rod bolt is 8mm)

the L24E exception is that effective 7-81 L24E connection rods where re-designed,

piston pin bored diameter was reduced to 19.97mm

big end bore diameter was reduced to 47.95mm (was 49.961mm-49.974mm)

bolt size was reduced to 8mm

center to center length was retained (133mm)

its also noted that the 82-83 Maxima has a 44.911mm rod journal

L24 rods are the same except 5-71 - 6-81 rods had a 9mm bolt (up to 4-71 the rod bolt is 8mm)

the L24E exception is that effective 7-81 L24E connection rods where re-designed,

piston pin bored diameter was reduced to 19.97mm

big end bore diameter was reduced to 47.95mm (was 49.961mm-49.974mm)

bolt size was reduced to 8mm

center to center length was retained (133mm)

its also noted that the 82-83 Maxima has a 44.911mm rod journal

Where'd you get this skib???