what fuel filter to use

burrito213

hello all,

i am in the process of cleaning up my engine bay and ran across some cool things at the last JCCS show for my truck (nl320).... so, of AZhitmans nl320 and hardhead320's l320 i noticed they had a glass type fuel filter with a top mount.

all my research has lead me to the FILTER KING. is this the filter i am looking for or is there another, more correct one?

KingFilter.jpg

i heard some review's about this filter and think it'll not only look cool but really work.

any help?

and for the interested, im part buying now, and when i have time i will insert this filter and give you all a picture parade of my progress. :thumbup:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is this the filter i am looking for

:unsure: only you know if its what your looking for ;)

i like that type.

im using this style, as i like to see the element.

glass-inline-filter.jpg

its mounted well!!! ive heard reports of them not being properly mounted and cracking the glass. :o

hello all,

i am in the process of cleaning up my engine bay and ran across some cool things at the last JCCS show for my truck (nl320).... so, of AZhitmans nl320 and hardhead320's l320 i noticed they had a glass type fuel filter with a top mount.

all my research has lead me to the FILTER KING. is this the filter i am looking for or is there another, more correct one?

i heard some review's about this filter and think it'll not only look cool but really work.

any help?

and for the interested, im part buying now, and when i have time i will insert this filter and give you all a picture parade of my progress. :thumbup:

If you want the OEM filter assembly

Looks like this and hard to come by

fuelfilter002.jpg

parts392.jpg

To each their own. All filters used to look like that but the home mechanic preferred the cheap easier to change throw away plastic ones. I would prefer a clear (not opaque) filter housing even if plastic.

Some of those older style had a drain at the bottom to empty collected water.

well i know johnson/evenrude/bombardier (or outboard boat motor parts) had a fuel water seperator and they were pretty neat... the "Filter King" has the same somewhat features.

i would like an oem but a universal with a glass bulb i could live with. i have been given some parts that had some filter parts in it but nothing was salvagable.

Hi Marco, I am going to run the Filter King filter. The benefit for me on the king filter is it has an adjustable pressure regulator built into it. I am running an electric fuel pump with a Weber carburetor. The Weber requires 3.5 lbs. fuel pressure. The Fuel King filters came on masseratti cars from the factory. Let me know if you want to buy one. There is a guy in Canada that sells them on Ebay. Peirce manifolds sell them also. They carry the replacement filters also.

• 2 weeks later...

okay...but quickly, i am back to this question.....

so you do recommend the filter king Charlie69?...it does look like a good one to use

but

i'll probably get the filter king when money becomes available but i was wondering about the curent fuel pump

if i run a universal fuel pump at say 3 PSI i may be okay right?.... well, i assume my carb plays a roll too

what about if i get a success on the universal pump. the lines get run, and all seems okay...., could i make a plate to seal off where the datto J15 fuel pump went?...

trust me, these may be silly questions to the professional but this is my first rodeo with this.... i could use any help or advice :)

okay...but quickly, i am back to this question.....

so you do recommend the filter king Charlie69?...it does look like a good one to use

Yes if you need to regulate the fuel pressure

but

i'll probably get the filter king when money becomes available but i was wondering about the curent fuel pump

if i run a universal fuel pump at say 3 PSI i may be okay right?.... well, i assume my carb plays a roll too

what about if i get a success on the universal pump.

Webers run best at 3.5 Lbs fuel pressure. Try the pump without a regulator but I suggest you check the fuel pressure at idle & at about 2500 rpm to see if it is actually within the 3 to 4 lb range. If the fuel pressure is much over 3.5 lbs then the fuel will push past the needle & seat in the carbureator causing the carburetor to flood.

the lines get run, and all seems okay...., could i make a plate to seal off where the datto J15 fuel pump went?...

Yes

L20BFuelpump.jpg

L20BFuelpumpblockoffplate.jpg

trust me, these may be silly questions to the professional but this is my first rodeo with this.... i could use any help or advice :)

The only silly question is the question that is not asked!

This isn't a stock Nissan L series pump. It's a replacement from auto zone or whatever. I guess they work but don't know the pressure specs for them. The stock Hitachi is about 3 pounds.

L20BFuelpump.jpg

For a block off plate find a Z22 motor from an '81-'82.5 720 truck. They have electric pumps and a block off plate that looks like this:

motorfuelpumpblockoffZ20Z22.jpg

This isn't a stock Nissan L series pump. It's a replacement from auto zone or whatever. I guess they work but don't know the pressure specs for them. The stock Hitachi is about 3 pounds.

L20BFuelpump.jpg

For a block off plate find a Z22 motor from an '81-'82.5 720 truck. They have electric pumps and a block off plate that looks like this:

motorfuelpumpblockoffZ20Z22.jpg

Good information Mike. Do not worry that pump was not used. Hacked521 got that motor & transmission & is working on a turbo setup for it with electric fuel pump.

As for my truck I will be using a stock electric 720 pump, that is why I am using the fuel pressure regulator.