drum help please

Dat1977

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on the drums, there should be two smaller holes. Bolts will fit in there, torque them down evenly (as you can) and it will push the drum off. You can also try smacking the drum with a hammer or something to free it up some. Its just something you will have to work at, after so many years they get rusted together almost! Good luck

Loosen the emergency brake cable. (don't forget to adjust when you are done)

On the lower back of the backing plate is an oval rubber cover. Remove and inside is a star wheel adjuster. Turn this and the shoes will retract away from the drums.

Give the drum a smack with a hammer and it should jump forward on the studs and lift off.

If no go, there are two threaded holes on the face of the drum just outside the stud circle. Metric bolts with 12mm heads can be tightened in evenly and the drum will be levered off. Make sure the shoes are retracted out of the way or this method will tear them off with the drum.

Be sure to rinse behind the drum with brake cleaner and collect the 'juice' on some rags and dispose of it. This will remove the asbestos without you having to breath this extremely carcinogenic powder.

some 620's have the same adjuster as the 510 (small square bolt near the top on the inside of the wheel). wherever your adjuster is just back it way off, tap the drum with a soft faced hammer (like a dead blow) while spinning the drum. i just did mine this weekend one side was 1 tap the other side was about 10 minutes of tapping and spinning. oh yeah this might be too explanatory but tap the side where the tread would be if the tire was still on, tapping outward. remember to spray old or new drum with brake cleaner to remove any grease that would contaminate your new pads.

I dont know how much help you need, but like i said i just did mine this weekend and it was my first drum brake job. should take about an hour or so for us newbies. I was surprised how easy it was

what make you think the brakes are worn?

I would try the using adjusters wheel first.

As one stateed if there is holes that look threaded those are jacking screw to help get the drum off. I would loosen the brakes with the adjuster wheel. KNowing which way would help I forgot .

But soemtimes heating up the center then wack if w/o breaking the casting of the drums. then if miight come off