no front turn signals in my 720

ZackTheImpaler

So I just recently got my turn signals working and come to find out my front signals don't work. I put in new bulbs,traced the wiring as far as I could, even pulled them out and switched them to see if they worked then.

The rear lights work just fine.

I don't have my bumper on so none of those lights are hooked up, but the turn signals weren't working even when thery were.

Its an early 80's 720 2wd

Does anybody have any ideas? I was trying to find a wiring diagram online but had no luck.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well none of my front end signals work. My bumper isn't on, and the lights that were in my bumper are disconnected. I was mentioning that just in case that might have something to do with it.

I'm not sure if all the lights have to be hooked up for things to work, or if when I take something off it screws up a circuit.

Sorry for things not being so clear, I'm posting from my phone so sometimes i lose track of what I'm saying by the time I press all the little buttons.

I'm talking about the signals next to my healights. Everything else is working, got my brakelights working today, my turn signals work now (thanks again). I know that with electrical it could be anything, but neither side is working, only in the front.

The corner lights are only side markers. The turn signals are in the bumper. If you want turn signals, you need to put the bumper back on, it's legally required to have a bumper (doesn't have to be stock but it has to be there, even if it's just a piece of lumber). Or wire something to the original plugs and zip tie it to the grille if you're going for the Mad Max look.

99% of side marker lights might be also signals (though that really was just a GM thing up until the early 2000s) but that's not the case on a 720. The eBay ad is incorrect. The corner lights are nothing more than clearance lights. You can make the clearance light blink with some fancy wiring, but to do it right you still need the main signals in the bumper.

Ok thank you that makes more sense.

I'm not an idiot, I'm from Michigan. Can't say I'd ever seen a Datsun before until I moved to washington last year.

My license plate is mad max style tied on!

I appreciate your help. Ford and Chevy, those are blinkers. My lights never worked so I've never known what they are. The owners manual is pretty vague on what they are, just saying what bulbs need to be in there.

Regardless, these lights have never worked. Whether my truck is on, headlights or turn signals on, or hazards.

Do you know where I should start looking?

Maybe just replace those units?

I don't have the lights in my bumper, but I know of a 720 in the arlington pull-apart that had the lights on (last time I checked)

One of my clearance lights doesn't work either, even after changing the bulb, BUT mine has fairly significant damage in that corner and I suspect the wiring is severed inside. The bumper is shoved back a couple inches on one side which folded the fender. Being the truck was free, I wasn't too concerned about the dents. Finding straight bumpers for these isn't easy, they bend real easy.

It's possible too that the side markers are fed power from the combination lamps in the bumper, I'm not sure, I don't have the wiring diagram here.

Yeah the front bumper that come on it I don't think was original. It was pretty chinsy and came in 3 pieces.

I'm thinking about making some sort of bumper substitute. Something just big enough to put the plate on and attach the lights to the side of it. I'm gonna go junkyarding soon to try and find some lights, and maybe that will help my running lights?

Are there any compatible turn signals I could pull off another truck?

Wiring is likely a schematic not to scale. I've been looking to see if the harness to the bumper turn signals has the plugs for the fender marker lights on it. Naturally if the bumper is missing there will be nowhere to plug the markers into. That make sense? Where's Mr. Fudpucker, he has a 720.

Where's Mr. Fudpucker, he has a 720.

:yawn: What nooowww.. Wire harness for the markers are further up the harness just before the headlights on thier own leg, the turn signals and horn part is after the headlights on the harness on thier own leg. and let me warn you both is a royal PITA to move if the metal is tweeked in any way.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinkin about doin somethin with the lights and signals in my 720, but I am not sure if it will work. Is it possible to get aftermarket LED signals and hook them up? Would the wiring even allow it or is it one of those things where it used to be simple, but newer stuff is just too complicated to be compatible? I was thinking about with the custom grille im doing for mine putting in aftermarket HID's and LED signals.