Z car 5spd....Transmission noise.

H5WAGON

Ok, helping a friend with his 510. Engine is in and all good...but the transmission has a nice growl to in in neutral. When you push the clutch in, it goes away.:rolleyes:

All the gears work fine, no other noises. Drained the gear oil and refilled, found a few chunks in the pan. (looks like bearing housing chunks?)

My 1st guess is the input shaft support bearing, but the transmission is still in the car, so testing for play....I will have to wait to get it out.

Can a shade-tree mechanic change this bearing or are special tools needed.

He may just want to get another one, but if the bearing isn't to much $ we may try to replace.

Anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop driving A.S.A.P

what kind of "chunks" ? and how much of the kind ? ( teeth chunks or many shavings )

Mainly a lot of shavings, a nice little display on the magnet....lol.....the chunks were little......maybe part of the bearing race.

We will be pulling it soon and taking the front cover off and peek inside.

I've taken one appart (didn't buy it!) and I have one, and in both cases it was the lower front counter shaft bearing that was bad. By bad I mean the balls fell out when draining it. If so it's an easy fix. The case comes apart with a 12mm wrench and a pair of snap ring pliers. Once off you can inspect the main and counter gears for damage. You will need to borrow a gear puller to get the bearing off. The new bearing can be hammered on with a block of wood and then a length of pipe.

I'll post my 'How To Remove The Front Case' and some pictures when I get home.

• 1 month later...