installing the engine...

Stupid_fast

First, I SEARCHED, I searched google, and didn't find what I wanted.

I want to drop the engine in this month, if all goes well.

And this time if I have budgeted correctly I will have everything to put the engine in.(hoist, trans x member, ect)

Are there any preferred/better brands of engine hoists? budget is around $300. Its just an L20b that I'm putting in..

Can I install the flywheel when the motor is already in the car? I know I can install the transmission after- though it will be difficult. Is there anything I should know generally while putting the engine in?

Where would I buy new engine mount bolts? I have new mounts already.(L16 mounts work on L20b I assume!)

I know I'm missing most of the engine bay stuff and things to get it running but all I need right now is the engine and trans in the car so I can figure everything else out from there.

I'm hoping to finally finish the wheel wells, suspension, and brakes once the final parts arrive.(Was going to do this today but got... distracted...) From there I'll be ready to drop the engine into the car.

And also, I do have an excuse for taking so long.. the previous owner has still not sent me the gas cap keys... laugh.gif Yes, I'm nagging him. also spending my cash on expensive parts like an 11lb flywheel...

I've probably missed some stuff here, any comments or help is appreciated as always.mellow.gif

Everything goes well you guys will have another goon at JCCS...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use 2 persons and a 2x4, i have done that. Heft it up, walk it over the engine bay and lower it down.

Much easier with an engine hoist though. The smallest one you can find will work. The L16 engine only weighs about 200 pounds. Hoists start at 750 pounds, but are rare. Most are 1500 pounds or heavier.

One thing that really helps is one of those load levelers that let you change the tilt angle of the load. On sale now. If you have a good solid overhead beam, a chain hoist will work nicely, they are a lot cheaper than a shop crane and take up much less room. Disadvantages are you have to position the vehicle relative to the engine. Craigslist is a good source for tools, especially now; I got a 2T foldable crane and a load leveler for $120 not too long ago.

As for the bolts, here in Salem, Cascade bolt would be a good bet. Check your yellow pages under Fasteners.

your not gonna like the 11 lb flywheel, ha ha i cant wait to see the look on your face!, also install the flkywheel while the engine is out of the car, its not to easy to toque those bolts down while your laying on your head getting shit in your eyes! any engine hoist will work as these engines are light!!!!!!! if you have a good sturdy overhead beam you can use a chain hoist, when i put mine in i robbed a swingset frame from my in laws house and put it in my garage! he he it worked great! chain hoists are cheaper than engine hoists and have more uses anyways. make sure you have help so you dont dent your engine bay up. have fun be safe and post lots of pictures!!!!

Forgot to mention that my driveway is about a 40 degree angle steep, and my car is in front of the driveway. I cant get it into the garage to drop the engine in so I gotta do it in front of my house. Its a pretty flat area right where I am going to drop it in, and I've got some room in front of it to work with.

Where do I buy things like engine mount bolts? Flywheel bolts from a roadster should work?

The engine also already has a chain on it for lifting. :)

This is how it sits now:

imag0283i.jpg

Monster truckin'...

Harbor Freight,or ratsun local ratsun member for hoist stuff.

Cool.

You can use 2 persons and a 2x4, i have done that. Heft it up, walk it over the engine bay and lower it down.

Much easier with an engine hoist though. The smallest one you can find will work. The L16 engine only weighs about 200 pounds. Hoists start at 750 pounds, but are rare. Most are 1500 pounds or heavier.

I did this when I went to pick it up, though its sitting on a pallet so didn't need the 2x4. I have the cash so I'm just going to get a hoist. Also I may eventually swap the engine in my toyota for a GTE or something, so its a good thing to have.

One thing that really helps is one of those load levelers that let you change the tilt angle of the load. On sale now. If you have a good solid overhead beam, a chain hoist will work nicely, they are a lot cheaper than a shop crane and take up much less room. Disadvantages are you have to position the vehicle relative to the engine. Craigslist is a good source for tools, especially now; I got a 2T foldable crane and a load leveler for $120 not too long ago.

As for the bolts, here in Salem, Cascade bolt would be a good bet. Check your yellow pages under Fasteners.

I will get one, though I can use it with a hoist, yeah? Since I don't have a garage to drop the engine in.

i like to put the trans and engine in together as one

Yeah, but if its possible to put the trans it later it would be easier for me since I don't really have anywhere except inside the car to install it on the engine.

your not gonna like the 11 lb flywheel, ha ha i cant wait to see the look on your face!, also install the flkywheel while the engine is out of the car, its not to easy to toque those bolts down while your laying on your head getting shit in your eyes! any engine hoist will work as these engines are light!!!!!!! if you have a good sturdy overhead beam you can use a chain hoist, when i put mine in i robbed a swingset frame from my in laws house and put it in my garage! he he it worked great! chain hoists are cheaper than engine hoists and have more uses anyways. make sure you have help so you dont dent your engine bay up. have fun be safe and post lots of pictures!!!!

Yeah, my brothers car also has a lightened flywheel(350z) it was a pain to get use to driving, but now that I am its very fun. My datsun is mainly going to be an race/autocross/weekend car, I don't care much if its a beast to drive. Its better than an automatic!

Can I torque the bolts while its on the hoist? Maybe lower it on something to hold it still? My plan was to have my brother help me pick it up, put it in our van and drive it up the driveway(its a very steep driveway), then put it on the street hoist it up and install it...