J13 Rebuildin

Craig Hughes

Hey wiser than I on top of the Datsun pile, I'm taking apart a J13 and my friend who runs our local high school autoshop wants to remove these pressed-in flush finished caps that are at both ends of the motor and where the oil pump and temp sender go into. He feels to completely clean the motor carcass this is a must but doesn't know if he could find replacements so I'm asking imput on how to remove them but if that is the right thing to do. If you say remove than who has these journal caps avaible. I leave this topic for your immense depth of knowledge and skill to ponder and solve,thanks for the help.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much pondering about it. They are called freeze plugs and there are more than just a couple. You can get them in brass or steel from places like rockauto.com and stuff.

Don't think there's anything special about them...

To remove them, i usually just knock one side back into the block, grab the end that rotates out with some vise grips, and pull it on out...

One of the J-series people should chime in here sometime.....

Thanks crew for rapid response. I think I'm not explaining them correctly, the're not the 1-1/2" or larger freeze plugs they are about a 1/2" and the're 2 on front and back of the block and completely flush not just the rim and at the of the oil shaft-journal-hollow shaft that runs front to back and the oil pump shaft runs thru it as well as the oil temp. sender. they appear to be made of steel and in solid. The freeze plugs knocked out o.k. but my instructor friend says they need to come out cuz he's sure they are filled with junk needing removal as part of the rebuild on the J13. Did I clear that up? Keep the vurbalage coming I'm waiting on every word.

Hey it warms the heart to know you'all really follow up on these question. My shop teach friend thinks similar to what they do on chevy's and such is to remove the and tap and insert these allen head threaded plugs. He's confident theres plenty of metal and the size is not much larger than the present plugs. I'm kinda sceptical but he says no big and the benifits to cleaning out those inner galleries says makes it worth it.Either way I'll still need to rebuild with new stuff top to bottom. I just can't believe how good of condition this little motor is in! Stuff has come apart easy with normal elbow grease with no breaks or rusted into place parts, just the way you would want a 53 year old motor to be! When I'm done I should have some left over manifolds and stuff if someone is hurting. Keep the coments coming all is soaked up, thanks.