Carb draining

boxboy

Subject says it all. The truck runs great, no problems blowing smoke or anything, and idles fine. But if I let her sit for 3 days or more I have noticed that the bowl is dry and the float is sitting on the bottom. Means a little extra cranking, but starts right up. What would cause this? It is a stock Nikki on my 520.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not looking at it right now, but if I recall correctly it does look like there might be some moisture now and then around the base of the carb. Now, I am assuming I can't get those gaskets and the bakelite spacer/rise anymore, right? Then what do I do?

In the meantime, is it hurting anything? Am I risking fire?

pack bowl! :ph34r:

Now, I am assuming I can't get those gaskets and the bakelite spacer/rise anymore, right? Then what do I do?

not sure for a stock, but you should be able to make your own.

if mine sits for more than a 2 days, it takes a few seconds for the bowls to fill(dual webers)

I think a lot of this has to do with today's crappy gas. It evaporates like crazy. I have this problem with my 720 truck if it sits for more than 3 days, and also have it with my '70 Chevrolet if it sits for around the same amount of time. I just crank it over a few seconds, and then I go ahead and set the choke, etc. The only time I didn't have this problem was with a Holley carb I was running on my Chevy. Holley's hold a a lot of gas, and I could let it sit for months and it would start with only two priming pumps. I would imagine that your neck of the woods probably runs an Ethanol blend like mine does. Around here, the Ethanol blend is all year 'round.

• 1 year later...

I'm really late to the party on this but I thought I might post for anyone else who comes along searching for answers. My bowl gasket was letting gas run on to the manifold at one point. Bad, very bad. I tried using some oil resistant RTV but that was a terrible idea. I ended up using a flat, leather boot lace turned on it's side and it seems to be holding just fine. Combined with the cork gasket that goes between the metal holding plate and the glass, the only gas I seem to be loosing is through evaporation or acceleration.

nikki_bowl_gasket.jpg