210 won't idle

JustinB

Having trouble with my 210 wagon. It's a 1979 wagon with an A14 engine that's seen better days. Have a fresh new engine to put in but I am waiting on the cash for a couple parts to finish it up. ANYWAY... Problem is it won't idle. Runs same as always when driving, although I can hear this vibration/buzzing sound I don't recognize, but when I stop, it dies. tried upping the idle but it didn't work unless i raised it WAY too high. Like up over 2k. Then it'll stay running but it sounds horrid. Anyone having ideas, hit me up. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try that in the morning. How much would an idle solenoid cost, and what does it look like? Thanks for the quick help. Any money I don't give a shop is more I can use to finish the new A15. Thanks again.

http://datsun1200.co..._solenoid_valve

Alright. Looks like the guy who owned it before just twisted the wires together, so I cut them clean and touched them together with the ignition on. There was a very very slight clicking so I put spade terminals on and wrapped them up good with electrical tape. Still wouldn't idle regular, so I just turned it up until it would stay and figure I'll live with it for now. I have a few other projects going right now, all of them on hold due to a cashflow issue. Trying to sell my boat to raise funds and then I should be able to get everything done.

Things that will affect your idle:

1/ Check your hot valve lash.

2/ Set ignition timing

Now set carb mixture and idle speed. Set idle so engine will run. Turn idle mixture screw in or out until idle falters then quickly turn the other direction until it does the same. Select a point roughly in between where idle is fastest and smoothest and re-adjust the idle speed down. Turn idle mixture in and out to find the best idle position, adjust idle speed down... repeat until idle quality can't be improved. Be sure to do 1/ and 2/ above first.