Stupid Speedometer...

Spades

Well, I haven't even been able to drive my 510 wagon because it needs new tires and a ton of other work I already completed, but now the stupid f#$%ing speedometer quit on me. it started bouncing around at lower speeds, like the cable was snagging, and then it just quit.

I bought a new cable, re-routed it and bought some high dollar grease specifically for speedo cables. After all that, I found out the cable wasn't snagging, and the speedo refuses to move at all.

I can pull the cable off and watch it as drive down the street, it is spinning, but the speedo needle isn't moving at all.

Is there a common fail gear in them or am I going to have to ship this out to our shops normal instrument shop?

I know autometer and other places have aftermarket speedometers, how user friendly are they? I am wondering in case that ends up being a cheaper route than repair.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, tomorrow on my lunch break I am going to pull the gear out and double check that it is ok, but the fact that I am seeing the cable spin makes me think it is in the gauge, which would be just my luck.

this stupid car just doesn't want to be driven, it is so far now that it is breaking shit before I even get the last problems fixed.

ok, so I verified the cable is working properly. I pulled the cluster, the speedo needle isn't moving when the input drive is turned. All of the gears are working properly, but the needle doesn't move when the drive is spun.

I am told this kind of malfunction is very rare...but with this car I have come to expect the worst of luck. I talked with our normal repair shop for instrument cluster repairs, and he said the repair would be around $140 most likely...

so I am f#$ed right now...I don't have $140...so basically I am screwed.

if you have people interested go ahead and sell it, I just don't have much money right now because I HAVE to get tires put on it first, after that I will have some cash to play with. I found a shop that can repair it for $90, so if I can't find anyone on here to buy one from, I can at least get the one I have fixed for less than $140 plus shipping cost.