510 rear drums

djlotus

Im sorry to have to ask this, but how in the world do I get these things off? I've removed the 2 bolts on the back and loosened up the brake adjuster thing. What more must I do to get them off? :confused:

Thanks,

_John

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I'll give the bolt idea a shot. If that don't work, looks like I have to find a prybar.

If worse comes to worse, I plan on going disc in the back, I coul just cut them bishes off.

Are the brake shoes clear of the drums? I remember I was changing the shoes on one of my old cars, and the drums had seen so much use there was a groove worn on the inside. It was only a millimeter or so deep, but it was enough to keep them stuck on. That was on a car made in '84... add an extra 10+ years and yours might be worn even more.

what you can do is turn the litlle square peg out so it looses up the shoes.Bang with hammer to loosen also

then there is 2 jacking screw holes in which you get a bolt( I use spare intake bolts) and try to pop the drum off. If not then you got to use the hammer screw driver to pry without ruining the rear dust shield.

If the brake adjustment peg is hard to turn it means the threads are rusted(oil it up) or the inner pistons the spread the brake drums are sticky. YOull have to clean them up. then the peg will turn ezer.(I use anti seize after to the adjuster) it keeps it from rusting also.

• 4 years later...