620 4x4 conversion

jnec510

ok i got a few questions to start. i have a 78 620 king cab with l20b all stock. what tranny/transfer case fits the l20b? also i was thinkin about a motor swap. what is a good motor for four wheelin? i want to stick with a four cylinder tho. I also want to convert to power steering. what steering box should i go with? thank s for the help.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes axles...

I vote for wagoneer running gear. Dana 44's front and rear. A bit more aftermarket support for them, the front has a better turning and no birfields to break.

For running gear I'd find a 4x4 hardbody and nab the KA, tranny and transfer case and maybe the steering box.

Probably the easiest way would be to buy a 720 4X4 and change bodies... if it's an '83 or later it'd have a Z24 which is good for torque.

The common 620 4X4 conversion was done with a Jeep D30 front axle and a D20 transfer case, retaining the stock engine/transmission (the D20 can be converted into a divorced T-case, which is how it was done originally) and also retaining the stock rear end, but relocating the springs to the top of the axle tubes. This had the unfortunate side effect of having mismatched front/rear gears as the common Jeep axle was a 4.10 ratio and the Datsun rear was a 4.375. The only common ratio was 4.88, and that required changing gears in both axles as it wasn't stock in both the Datsun or the Jeep in the years used.

Another method was to use Toyota axles on both ends, still the D20 was the T-case of choice. Problem now is finding the conversion pieces, though I suppose you could use an early 720 divorced T-case (later ones were married, but would require also changing the engine to get the T-case aligned)

2eDeYe;34629']yota axles still have crappy turning...

I love watching my buddys in their yotas doing the Austin Powers 200 pt turn :D

The problem with a 720 frame swap is IFS' date=' which severely limits tire size on a wheeler.[/quote']

ive never had a turning problem.. my buddy is welded front and rear running 36s full exo dual cases the works and he manages just fine. only ever has to back up once in the super tight stuff.

d44s would work too but swaping in a yota drivetrain opens you to a HUGE aftermarket.

Could do both... Waggy axles, yota engine, tranny, dual t-cases...

Either way will work very well, that said....I think we would need lot's of pic's of this project.

For that matter where's pics of the truck to start with :D

• Like 1

personally, I like the l20 as an off-road motor. I've had several toyota 4x's and my 620 4x and I like it better. It's simple, has a decent low end, and the parts are cheaper. I like Dana axles over the yota's(I've bent two yota housings that I remember), plus, if you go with Dana 44's off of a wagoneer, you get a bigger ring gear(less likely to break a gear set). You should be able to adapt a 720 transfer case easily, but lower tc ratios are not available.

If you want to do all that work, though, You'd be money ahead to start from scratch and build something from the ground up. Otherwise you are cutting and welding the frame at the motor mounts, crossmembers, tc mounts and leaf spring perches.

I'd just buy a 'Yota if you're going to use toyota parts.

as for power steering, it's not a bolt up modification, you are probably going to have to change out the column and make a few diffferent things "work" to fit it all in.

i am going ground up with it i want to change the tranny tho cause its a four speed. i just got yota leafs for free. i might stick with the l20 if i can find a webber set up for a decent price. otherwise i want to go fuel injected. man you guys reply fast. tank you all much. any extra parts around ie d20 tcase webber carb exuast header.

How to post pic's...

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=703

You should be able to get a dana 20 fairly easily and for cheap if you keep your eye on craigslist. They were in many Jeep Wagoneers, J-trucks, Jeepsters and CJ's.

Looks like this

f4bd4e26.jpg

I have an adapter to mount a Dana20 to a Datto tranny in storage that I might be persuaded to part with :P

• 4 months later...

heres the ultimate danna 44 front and rear, engine and trans of choice 74 prior dodge 4x4 divorced np 205 t case or like me motor outa an 81 izusu pup 4x4 diesel.. so lets count one 4 speed trans...+T case...+np205....+5.13"s in the 44's with 37"s in a 74 standard cab withe a 78 longbed frame can you say creepy crawler

i would so do that but i dnt have a 74 standard cab so i have to deq:( but i do have a 77 620kc on a 80 720 4x4 chassis 774x4001.jpg :lol::lol: 33s soon to come. rebuildin a l20b an need to throw some new bearins in the t case. o an shes all black now

i would so do that but i dnt have a 74 standard cab so i have to deq:( but i do have a 77 620kc on a 80 720 4x4 chassis 774x4001.jpg :lol::lol: 33s soon to come. rebuildin a l20b an need to throw some new bearins in the t case. o an shes all black now

Stock 720 suspension and 10.5 X 31s are going to rub on turns and when weelin', 33s even more so. Do you plan to body lift? Also the 33s will make the 4.375 gears seem like 3.70s. Cool swap onto the '80. Mines a '78 onto an '82 frame.

there is a parshal body lift already. but i am taking all that out an doin a 1 inch body lift. chevy 48in liefs in back an gonna take the torsion bars higher in the front. i am gonna "bob" the frame an bed. i was gonna go flat bed but i love the way it looks. hooks an all.:D an i have toyota front liefs an all the mountin brakets for them for when the strait axle comes:rolleyes: but tomorrow i am gonna try t fix the electrical so i have all my lights back on an evderything workin.:cool: