Started mixing paint today

twofinger_salute.gif

It was supposed to be purple, but turned out like this. It's candy red, with midnight blue and a little candy base in it to lighten it.

COINCIDENTALLY (meaning, I wasn't intending it) it turned out about the color as Cherry Dr. Pepper, which if you spend any time at all on Ratsun you know it's my favorite drink ever hyper.gif

anyways.... to the oics.

IMAG1357.jpg

This is my stir stick. A piece of aluminum left over from building my dash.

IMAG1358.jpg

Painted the gas door to get an idea of what it looked like on the car. It LOOKS orange peeled, but I can assure you it's not. It's the angle and light reflecting off the metallic flake.

IMAG1360.jpg

IMAG1361.jpg

IMAG1362.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That gas door has some serious orange peel! Was it smooth before you started? Might have to use some kind of compound to cut it once you are done shooting the paint. (also use some high build primer & sand before you shoot paint, should help a bit if you didn't) wonder how that color will look once its on the car :D

It LOOKS orange peeled, but I can assure you it's not. It's the angle and light reflecting off the metallic flake.

That gas door has some serious orange peel! Was it smooth before you started? Might have to use some kind of compound to cut it once you are done shooting the paint. (also use some high build primer & sand before you shoot paint, should help a bit if you didn't) wonder how that color will look once its on the car :D

ahem tongue.gif

It's only got one bad spot on it, other then that it's perfect. It's an optical illusion! Your brains fucking with you. lol

haha maybe?? Might just be the pics, but the alum looks pretty smooth, gas door looks rough, looks like a few bubbles in it too?

Not knocking your work bro, just constructive criticism, rather it be pointed out now so it could be corrected rather than you paint the car and say "Aww wtf!" :rofl:

Either way, keep it up man. Been waiting to see your thread with a picture of your car painted for a while now :P

haha maybe?? Might just be the pics, but the alum looks pretty smooth, gas door looks rough, looks like a few bubbles in it too?

Not knocking your work bro, just constructive criticism, rather it be pointed out now so it could be corrected rather than you paint the car and say "Aww wtf!" :rofl:

Either way, keep it up man. Been waiting to see your thread with a picture of your car painted for a while now :P

Yeah, I know man! Appreciate the concern. It does have a few small spots and some fish eyes (not visible here) the pics just made it look shitty :( Not sure why it turned out so bad for the camera. No clear on it yet, so I bet it turns out better after it gets clear :)

No worries! Temp is dropping, so prime painting time is coming up twofinger_salute.gif

I am seriously looking into the duplicolor hugger orange for the goon's engine bay......

You were saying a few weeks ago that the paint isn't really smooth until you cut and polish it......... is that still true?.........

Would it take forever to get the engine bay glossy?......... The 510 got the last of my Cali banned paint.... (maybe I'll drive to Nevada for one quart of orange.... :lol: )

I am seriously looking into the duplicolor hugger orange for the goon's engine bay......

You were saying a few weeks ago that the paint isn't really smooth until you cut and polish it......... is that still true?

Would it take forever to get the engine bay glossy?......... The 510 is got the last of my Cali banned paint.... (maybe I'll drive to Nevada for one quart of orange.... :lol: )

I bet it would look hella (LOL) sexy wub.gif

Yeah, it really needs to be color sanded and polished to turn out glossy and shiny. It's lacquer, so it's not easy to get a high gloss shine, but its easy to spray and VERY fast drying. I'll see if I can find my before and after of polishing my paint..

If you really want some, I'll ship ya some! I get Autozone 20% discount on anything in store and we stock it twofinger_salute.gif

Before..

IMAG1251-1.jpg

After.. wet sanded with 800 grit lightly, then 1500, then 2000. Followed up with some rubbing compound and polishing compound and ta da!!!!! All done by hand within a few minuets.

IMAG1252-1.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

Looks Nice! Is it just a single stage color sanded, or does it have a clear coat too? how many coats?

That's the top coat :P It's a single coat as light as I could get it on the fuel door.

I have a metallic candy base to go under. No clear coat on anything just yet since I sprayed it today and wanna give it dry time. But I'm confident it will look good when i finish :)

That's all the first post.

One above with before and after was metallic base, then 1 layer of top coat, followed by 8 coats of clear. Color sanded, buffed and polished by hand.

Edited by metalmonkey47

One above with before and after was metallic base, then 1 layer of top coat, followed by 8 coats of clear. Color sanded, buffed and polished by hand.

So after spraying the duplicolor laquer primer.......... .. do you wetsand your way up to 400 grit,,, then spray the candy base?

Then no sanding.... .. and straight to color?

Then no sanding and straight to clear?............. and no sanding in between clear coats?

Yep, we sanded the primer with 800 and went to base coat. No sanding on the base OR top coat since it's lacquer and really doesn't need it if sprayed properly. Can be done if you really want a show finish though. I did sand the clear down after about 5 coats, then finished with 3 more coats and color sanded + polished after final result.