L16 timming cover

Hello ther im new to the forun actually just signed up and am excited to ask some questions about my new datsun project.

anway i just bought a 71 521 pickup for 400 from a friend and its got a few issues that i need to address but the main one is that the engine was recently rebuilt and when they were reassebling the engine some how they managed to break off a few bolts in the timing cover. one in the front oil pan area one that holds down the distributor and a couple others on the front of the timing cover so im looking to remove the timing cover to do the reapairs. i have never worked on a datsun before and was wondering if i have to pull the head to remove the timing cover or if someone could give me a rundown on the way to remove it that would be killer thanks to anyone willing to help .

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pull distributor, oil pump, water pump, and loosen all the oil pan bolts to let the pan drop about an 1/8 inch... than you can take off the cover... if you want to work on this truck yourself anymore, i suggest getting a manual.... and pictures of your truck is always good courtesy here at ratsun. and welcome to the forum

Hello ther im new to the forun actually just signed up and am excited to ask some questions about my new datsun project.

anway i just bought a 71 521 pickup for 400 from a friend and its got a few issues that i need to address but the main one is that the engine was recently rebuilt and when they were reassebling the engine some how they managed to break off a few bolts in the timing cover. one in the front oil pan area one that holds down the distributor and a couple others on the front of the timing cover so im looking to remove the timing cover to do the reapairs. i have never worked on a datsun before and was wondering if i have to pull the head to remove the timing cover or if someone could give me a rundown on the way to remove it that would be killer thanks to anyone willing to help .

Remove the cover per instructions and chuck it. Find another L16 or L18 cover, I think the 240/260/280 is the same size too. I assume from your description of the mounting bolts, you mean some of the ones into the block also? Once cover is off hopefully there is enough of a nub to get vice grips on after heating with a torch. If not drill them out. If all else fails clean both gasket surfaces thoroughly and de-grease. Use new timing gaskets with a very thin smear of gasket sealer and assemble. Normally I would object to using this crap but if the broken bolts can't be extracted from the block, this is one case where it could be used. DO NOT slap it on like jam on bread... it will squish out inside the cover in blobs that fall off and end up in the oil pan. They will clog the oil pick up screen.